Scientists figure out origin of cobalt-blue spinel in Canada’s Arctic

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Here are the results of the investigation into the source of color in the gorgeous Canadian blue sapphire, and I sure hope I can eventually snag a specimen of this stuff. What amazing color, and it's said to equal the very best, and I can believe it. :)

MINING.com Staff | Apr. 5, 2019, 6:59 AM

Vivid blue spinel with white carbonate in calc-silicate rock, Kimmirut area. Photo by Philippe Belley, UBC.

"Researchers from the University of British Columbia published the first scientific study of cobalt-blue spinel in Canada, a mineral that produces fine gemstones that range from red and pink to violet and blue.

Spinel in dolomitic marble. Soper River spinel occurrence, Kimmirut area. Photo by Philippe Belley

Philippe Belley, a recent PhD graduate of the department of earth, ocean and atmospheric sciences, and UBC mineralogist Lee Groat traveled to Baffin Island in the Canadian territory of Nunavut to investigate the origin of spinel’s blue variety, highly prized for its intense natural colour, high transparency and limited supply.

They found that Baffin Island spinel contains up to 500 parts-per-million of cobalt, which gives it a vivid blue colour that is comparable to the best sources worldwide, found in Vietnam and the Himalayas.

After identifying an excellent rock exposure on the island, the researchers employed advanced exploration techniques ...

http://www.mining.com/scientists-figure ... ign=digest
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)