Staurolite: Fairy Crosses With Storied Legacy

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I have faceted andalusites, but no staurolites with the crosses. Looks like I'm going to have to put another one on the 'to-get' list - if I can find the end of it, that is. :lol:

By Jim Brace-Thompson
March 18, 2019

Staurolite penetration twin (Photo courtesy http://www.originstones.com)

"Many minerals crystallize in patterns that resemble across, a shape that has held special significance in Christian and pre-Christian civilizations. Two minerals that produce cross-shaped crystals—namely chiastolite and staurolite—have entered the realm of gemstone lore and legend as “fairy crosses.” Such crosses are said to be good luck charms, or talismans, that protect against witchcraft, illness or disaster. There are also Cherokee legends in North America of the Yunwi Tsunsdi, or Little People, who shed cross-shaped tears.

Destination Discovery Fuels Naming

Chiastolite is a variety of the mineral andalusite. Andalusite is named for Andalusia, Spain, the locality in which it was first found some 2,000 years ago. The word “chiastolite” is from the Greek word chiastos, or “cross”. When cut in cross-section, chiastolite crystals reveal a pattern that resembles an iron cross. They are sometimes worn as charms, either polished or in their natural form. Mariposa County, California, is home to an especially famous and prolific locality. Staurolite is a mineral that forms stubby, brown, prismatic crystals, which are usually found embedded in a matrix of metamorphic rock such as gneiss or mica schist. Staurolite has a tendency to “twin”, or have intergrown pairs of crystals.

There are two kinds of mineral twins: ... "

https://www.rockngem.com/staurolite-fai ... sses032119
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
rocks2dust

Re: Staurolite: Fairy Crosses With Storied Legacy

Post by rocks2dust »

For staurolite, the 90-degree twins also cost much more than the more common 60-degree Xs - in some cases, many times more. Have some around here, if I could only find them.
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

If you find them, LMK when you reply to my PM. :)
PinkDiamond

SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

I found them on the shore of lake Shasta in Northern California. Go East from the Marina on the south shore in a boat and they are on the side of the next inlet past the dogtooth calcite vein outcrop. Good fishing in the fingers of the lake. That was a good thing as that distracted my brother in law while i was crawling around the shore picking up pounds of calcite and finding the fairy crosses, none were weathered out tho'. They were weathering away off the surface as it weathered. They were the 60% twins and not gemmy clear either.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
rocks2dust

Post by rocks2dust »

I've also had some nice crosses in schist from central Idaho:

The pieces from Russia seem to be popular because of the sparkly, contrasting white schist:
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yes, I love that second one, and my daughter's father is a full-blooded Russian, so that's way cool, r2d. That one might just be the best one I've seen, kudos for snagging it! :)

Now I want one just like it, of course, but I'm sure those cost more than most due to their perfection. That won't stop me from coveting it though! :lol:
PinkDiamond