A Gemologist’s Dream: Wilensky Gallery’s Extraordinary Rare Minerals

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Although they only show 4 specimens in this article, they are outstanding, as reflected by the prices. Instead of showing you the lead pic, I'll show you my favorite of the four, and you can see more killer shots of gorgeous specimens at their website via the sub-link in the story. Enjoy! :)

January 7, 2019 by Kristin Young

"Even non-gemologists can get caught up in the Wilensky gallery’s incredible display of rare, natural minerals and stones. Stuart and Donna Wilensky, internationally renowned fine mineral collectors and dealers, have amassed this collection for more than three decades. Their sons, Troy and Connor, are also a part of the family business, and together they opened their first space in New York City’s Chelsea art district this past spring. If you’re in the neighborhood, this place is worth a visit.

The location in an art district is no accident. Stuart, president of Wilensky, describes the study and procuring of rare minerals like collecting the works of Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollack, and Pablo Picasso. To him, the minerals are natural works of art and having the gallery in Chelsea is so that the art world can be exposed to these pieces.

“It was really the artistic aspect of minerals that attracted me,” Stuart explains, noting he graduated with a master’s degree in art history. “It wasn’t the scientific one or the metaphysical one. It was really that these things were really objects of beauty and I just said this is something I want to pursue. Honestly, the reason this gallery exists is that we came to a point where we wanted to expand the mineral world. We want more people to know what it’s about and more people to experience it.”

Pieces include very large tourmalines that, when sliced, reveal natural geometric shapes like the perfectly symmetrical triangle. A breathtaking massive aquamarine specimen shows us the natural state of this gorgeous mineral. There is even a dark meteorite slice dotted with an almost transparent amber-colored pattern—gems from space, if you will.

“All of art comes from nature, and it’s that simple,” says Stuart. “That’s where all inspiration comes from, whether it be flowers whether it be minerals. Like art, there is an emotional reaction to the mineral specimens.”

Collectors, too, are not unlike art collectors. Mineral collectors can start purchasing miniature mineral specimens for several hundred dollars. But on the whole, this is not a hobby for the amateur: Averages prices are $50,000 and can reach hundreds of thousands of dollars for extremely rare specimens.

Stuart says the gallery is allowing him to slowly expand into other things such as gem-quality minerals, too. Wilensky currently houses three of the finest examples of ... "

Here's the one I like best from this article. I can't decide on a favorite from their site, so don't miss it. ;)

Quartz over chrysocolla, $7,500

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... -334329457
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)