What Is The Difference Between Chert, Flint, And Mozarkite?

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Although we've all heard of chert and flint, and some of you may be familiar with mozarkite, do you know the difference between them? I didn't, but now I think I have a clearer picture of them. ;)

by International Gem Society

“Chert (Flint) 1” by James St. John is licensed under CC By 2.0

Question

I’m a little confused about chert and flint. In your gemstone listing entry on quartz, you identify both chert and flint as examples of cryptocrystalline quartz. They are described together as “opaque, dull gray, or whitish chalcedony, very compact and hard.” Are chert and flint the same mineral?

Thanks,

John

"Flint Is A Variety of Chert

Although there is a lot of confusion on this, chert refers to cryptocrystalline or polycrystalline quartz that usually forms as nodules in limestone. Flint is reserved for such material that forms in chalk or marl. Flint is simply a type of chert. (At least this was the distinction that was made in the literature when I was a geology student 35+ years ago).

Paul

Mozarkite: The Show Me Chert

There’s more to the story regarding chert and flint. Although chert and flint are described as “opaque, dull gray, or white” and said to rarely appear as jewelry, this is not always the case.

I am a member of the St. Louis Mineral and Gem Society. Our club ... "

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/what ... amond_cost
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)