Collect really big specimens?

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

rocks2dust

Collect really big specimens?

Post by rocks2dust »

I suppose. Saw this article from the little town down the road from me: Crystal artisan sculpts frozen light

Now anything over 10 lbs, I consider to be a BIG specimen. I certainly wouldn't put anything like this big upstairs without checking my homeowner's insurance for floor collapse coverage :?
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
Rockranger1

Re: Collect really big specimens?

Post by Rockranger1 »

Could handle one of them in my house. Outstanding that size.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Rock, I'm so glad to see you! You've been AWOL for so long I was getting ready to message you to make sure you were alright, and that y'all made it thru another winter in the frozen tundra. :lol:

And r2d, thanks so much for sharing that link with us! I love the geode tables, and with this house on a concrete slab, I could put something that size in here if I could get the damn motorcycle out of my living room :roll: , and if that miracle ever occurs, and I just won the lottery :lol: , this one is my favorite.

And of the hand-held crystals, my champagne taste on a beer budget showed when I realized my favorite, the citrine dodecahedron, was the most expensive one at $2,800. 8-)

Of the large crystal sculptures, I love Wild, the one of the horse, as well as Fire Dance to the right of Wild, and Kunzite above it on the left. Of the mega sculptures, I think Cliffs of Lavender looks like an ice cream cone :lol: , and Gates Pass next to it is my favorite, and of the small sculptures, Lady of the Lake is superb. :!:

Thanks again for sharing that with us. It's a treasure trove of gorgeous crystals. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
rocks2dust

Post by rocks2dust »

From his other site I also liked the hanging piece that is installed across from the World Trade Center.

On a negative note, like so many shops and galleries around here, there is very little use of local materials. It probably shouldn't, but it still amazes me that so many folks who move to, and open shops in, rock and gem-rich areas seem to have no idea of what rarities can be collected within a couple of hours' drive. And even if they didn't have time to drive, they don't seem to even visit local shops and shows (everything looks like it was picked up at Tucson). We have a handful of jewelers and galleries that offer Northwest gem materials (sunstone, agate, etc.), and profitably, but for touristy areas like this it still seems strange that there aren't more. When I travel and shop, I really do want to see local gems rather than the same ole stones I could buy cheaper anywhere else in the world. When artisans and shops don't utilize/value local gems, in favor of me-too materials shipped in from across the globe that aren't even particularly rare, is it any wonder that mine owners shutter operations?
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

Stilĺ around just spend more time lurking in the background Pink. It's still winter here. Snowed all last week and the landscape is white as far as you can see, 20 below the last couple nights. Hoping to see some above zero temps soon to start the big melt, had enough of winter.
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

It's the cursed high labor rate of the honeyhole countries that fuel the retail sellers, shipping trade, and all the worlds laborers working for what is offered as we are all in this together in the long run. They are buying all the gem rough they can steal by the canister loads, if its 25 cents on the dollar or better for only good hard pretty stuff and selling it right back to us. Ive had work done for me overseas more than a few times. Opal has a favorable tax status.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"