An Insider’s Take on the 2018 Tucson Gem Shows

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

These tourmaline slices are fabulous, the geode is immense, the almandine garnet crystals are huge, and I got a kick out of them calling the rare and unusual specimens the ‘weirdites’. :lol: Enjoy! :)

March 12, 2018 by Victoria Gomelsky

"Anyone who’s been to Tucson in February knows that “Tucson gem show” is a misnomer. In late January and February, 47 shows set up shop in the city! From the city’s premier event, the AGTA GemFair at the Tucson Convention Center, to more offbeat satellite shows such as Westward Look or the Kino Gem & Mineral Show (aka Electric Park at the Kino Sports Complex), the selection is vast, diverse, and downright mind-boggling. After more than 15 visits to Tucson, I still can’t wrap my head around all the city has to offer during gem season.

But I know one person who can.

From Jan. 30 to Feb. 12, McKenzie Santimer, manager of museum exhibits and in-kind gifts at the Gemological Institute of America in Carlsbad, Calif., scoured the shows for stones and mineral specimens to bring back to campus. Together with museum curator Terri Ottaway, she sussed out the gem world’s newest, coolest finds; made a few purchases; and assessed current pricing to update the value of GIA’s permanent collection, which includes about 1,000 pieces on display in Carlsbad and about 100 at the New York City campus.

McKenzie Santimer, manager of museum exhibits at GIA, posing behind a geode slice while shopping in Tucson (photo courtesy of McKenzie Santimer/GIA)

Here, Santimer (who also happens to be a good friend of mine!) shares her takeaways from this year’s gem extravaganza. (Editor’s note: This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.)

On why Tucson matters

“The thing about Tucson is that it’s where you learn about new finds coming out of the earth. Last year and the year before, every booth we went into, there was some form of liddicoatite. This year, nothing. Sometimes, collections come up for sale because there was a death. That’s exciting because we never know what’s going to come up. That’s the fun part.

“We are always looking at cut stones. Our collection is based on education. We’re always looking for large sizes to show the true colors and breadth these gems come in. You’re never going to find a really large ruby. But in minerals, you get more bang for your buck. In our collection we have a lot of gems, minerals are second, and jewelry is third.

“We generally have everything that can be cut, even cut sulfur. We have all the ‘weirdites’ ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... -334329457
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)