The African Queen: The largest "alien eye" specimen

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

The African Queen: The largest "alien eye" specimen

Post by PinkDiamond »

I found this story in Pala's newsletter, and having never seen one of these before, I figure a lot of you haven't either, so I want to show this to you, and if you get to Dallas, do check out this museum. This is really something special, and how they shipped it is pretty funny. Enjoy! :)

Philanthropist Lyda Hill unveils her most recent treasure – the rare and spectacular Eyes of Africa mineral – at the Perot Museum of Nature and Science.
7-12-2017

" ... “My passion for science began as a child when I collected rocks,” said Hill. “So when I saw ‘Eyes of Africa’ – which is by far the largest and most important of all known specimens – and then heard the story behind its discovery, it captured my imagination in a big way. I’m delighted that millions of visitors to the Perot Museum will now get a chance to witness its radiance and glory for themselves.”

Composed of several white, semi-translucent quartz crystals and large, green and black Alien Eye Fluorites, Eyes of Africa was recovered from the Erongo Region of Namibia in 2007. Alien Eyes are a unique and unusual subset of fluorite, differentiated by a vivid green color and black outer zones that create a diamond shape at each crystal’s center. They also have a naturally formed, complex crystal habit in the form of cuboctahedra (eight triangular faces and six square faces). With light, Alien Eye fluorites glow with an incredible otherworldly quality that inspired their name. The total number of Alien Eye Fluorites recovered from this find is low, amounting to less than 30 fine specimens, due to the small pocket size and the fact that there was only one single discovery. ... "

http://www.perotmuseum.org/about-the-pe ... frica.html
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
kjsspot

Re: The African Queen: The largest "alien eye" specimen

Post by kjsspot »

Just beautiful! If you ever get out that way make sure you swing by and visit! I stopped with some co-workers not knowing about the gemstone exhibit. I was pleasantly surprised!
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
PinkDiamond

Re: The African Queen: The largest "alien eye" specimen

Post by PinkDiamond »

Did you get to see the African Queen, and if you did, could you see the 'eyes' in the fluorites? That's great that we have a member who actually got to go see the exhibit! How cool!! :D
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)