0.42 ct. Pallasite Peridot with Iridescent Needles

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I've never seen another pallasite like the one I got from this seller, my friend, Brad the Gem Trader, quite a few years ago, with the iridescent needles. So when I saw this in his newsletter I thought I'd let y'all know in case anyone is interested in owning one of these rare, beautiful, extraterrestrial peridots.

Facetable pallasites are as rare as hen's teeth to begin with, but ones with iridescent needles are like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack, so here's the info. This one's larger than mine, and I'm sure he won't have it for long; if it's even still available, so of you're interested contact him right away. Check this out. 8-)

Color: Medium Dark Slightly Yellowish-Green

Clarity: Eye Clean

Origin: Jepara Meteorite, Indonesia

Cut: Cushion Brilliant

Treatments: None

Measurements: 5.8 x 3.5 mm

These are remarkable stones to say the least. Stony-iron meteorites (pallasites) are sometimes peppered with pockets of the mineral Olivine - the species that gives us gem Peridot here on earth. You may have seen that these are sometimes sliced and backlight to dramatic effect for display. As you may suspect, the olivine crystals have endured an incredible strain, from their origin in space to the enormous heat and pressure of their fall the earth. Only on exceptional occasions are there any intact, unfractured gemmy areas that can actually be faceted.

So having established the rarity of faceted pallasite Olivine, let us talk about the Jepara meteorite and its special qualities. Found in 2008 as a single, 500 kg piece, this pallasite had some of the best preserved Olivine crystals ever found - capable of producing gems that were much larger than the norm - in some cases upwards of 2 carats. What is even more, a very few Jepara stones have a strange and fascinating feature - a series of small acicular inclusions that are capable of an exceptional iridescent flash. The percentage of these that have enough needles - and in the correct orientation - is infinitesimal. As a superb and dazzling treat, this gem has a lovely corner full of these colorful needles. Take a look at the photos and you can simply cannot help but be impressed. It is a very dramatic, and quite celestial, phenomenon. At the risk of being overly dramatic, it is somewhat reminiscent of time-lapse star trail photography.

Simply an outstanding piece with one of the very rarest phenomena observable in a gem material. The stone is otherwise flawless, with a precision cut and is exceptionally bright. A GIT lab cert stating the gem is pallasite Olivine accompanies the piece. A special stone.

$1575 total

https://www.thegemtrader.com/042-ct-pal ... -rare-gems
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: 0.42 ct. Pallasite Peridot with Iridescent Needles

Post by SwordfishMining »

You need to warn me so I can grab a towel first.................
I know somebody in here thats a gem collector with fine stones.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"