A Killer Season of Jewelry Auctions Kicks Off With a Bonhams Sale

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

The first piece is fabulous, as I'm sure you'll agree, and I love the moonstone and sapphire pieces, as well as the trio in the last pic. I'll take you to the second moonstone and sapphire piece, which is the one I favor of the two, so use the link to check out the rest of these beauties. 8-)

By Amy Elliott | September 09, 2021

"Watch this space—there are many, many jewels headed to auction this fall, and Monday’s California Jewels sale at Bonhams is a great way to start the party off right.

I am honestly feeling a little bit stalked by the opal necklace pictured up top, as alerts to the sale keep popping up in my Facebook feed (guess the algorithm really knows my number—wouldn’t be the first time) with this image front and center. It’s a Louis Comfort Tiffany design, and while the 8 ct. opal centerpiece is divine, the details on the mounting and chain make it an exemplary art nouveau jewel from the period.

In a press release for the sale, Emily Waterfall, head of jewelry, Bonhams Los Angeles, noted that jewels by the famed former design director of Tiffany (and master of stained glass artwork) were often based on ancient cultures like Egypt’s, “as you can see in the scarab-like filigree on the opal necklace,” she noted. “He often paid as much attention to the chain and the clasp as to the central stone element. [Louis Comfort Tiffany] pieces are treasured, and when they come to the market they often exceed the estimates.”

Bonhams has done well with Louis Comfort Tiffany pieces in the past: In 2017, for instance, a black opal and sapphire necklace sold for $44,000. Pictured below are two more Louis Comfort Tiffany–designed jewels featured in the sale.

Lot 300: Circa 1900 necklace in 18k gold with moonstones, sapphires, and enamel, Louis Comfort Tiffany for Tiffany & Co.

Lot 299: Circa 1910 bracelet in 18k gold and platinum with moonstones and sapphires, Louis Comfort Tiffany for Tiffany & Co

... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... ia-jewels/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: A Killer Season of Jewelry Auctions Kicks Off With a Bonhams Sale

Post by SwordfishMining »

Can we admit Australian Opal can be every bit as cracky as American at times? Angel hair inclusions aside, but those dont look like healed formations cracks that were refilled as that is not a crack like sugary material separates. It appears the auctioneers, on commission, are trying to say Tiffany selected that ol stone & matched the design with a pattern.
Seems more like the Hope diamond is curse sales ploy to me. Buyer beware & otherwise lets admit the color of opals is what sells it with the pattern & if it is held in gold, not if there are cracks included as many stones are sold cracked. Cracks are a price distraction but does not destroy the jewellery obviously if you search stores.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"