For Amethyst, It’s Not So Easy Being Green

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

When I saw this headline insinuating that amethyst can be green I thought I would have to explain why that's a misnomer, but she does it in the body of the article, so anyone who doesn't know why this isn't called green amethyst will be able to find out. That said, I'm surprised she didn't mention the trade name for greened quartz, that being prasiolite, but as long as she's not saying it's green amethyst I'm satisfied. I love the ring in the lead pic, and will show you my favorite of the lot. I will say most of the stones are so lightly saturated you'd mistake them for white in the photos if you didn't know better.

One more thing. Natural prasiolite is so rare it's nearly impossible to find, so know that this is treated quartz, and that like amethyst it can fade in strong sunlight, so keep your colored quartzes out of direct sunlight. ;)

By Brittany Siminitz | February 03, 2021

"I was all set to do a roundup of purple amethyst jewels for February when I remembered: Wait a minute, why do purple when I can go green?

I got to thinking about how green quartz is arguably more versatile than its purple counterpart, how it goes with everything. It can be a standout gemstone on its own, or it can blend happily into a collection, its sort of minty green shade a lovely pairing in any season, and with almost any color. ... "

Viola Canadensis ring in 18k yellow gold with natural green quartz, $4,959; Jordan Askill

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... -amethyst/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)