Beyond the big four: Finding natural gemstone alternatives

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This article from Jewellery Business consists of 4 pages, of which I'll give you the first 2, along with the next heading on page 3, so that's where the link will take you. There's a lot of good information on alternative natural gemstones that can be used in place of the big four, so I hope y'all will find this one both interesting and useful. :)

I really wish they shot the rubellite on a white background instead of the blue knit since it muddies what would otherwise be a lovely stone. :roll:

February 15, 2019
By Lauriane Lognay

From left to right: rubellite, spinel, zircon, and diopside.

"Whether you have 10 years of experience in the business, 30, or even two, at some point you have probably found yourself in front of a customer having a hard time coming up with natural options for gemstones that fit his/her budget, taste, and dreams.

However, there are plenty of examples of alternative gemstones you can use to replace the big classics (namely diamond, ruby, emerald, and sapphire). It can be beneficial to have different options for clients who prefer rarity over known gemstones—for example, those who want a colourless stone that is not a diamond, those who like ruby but do not want its slight pink tint, those who would like a peculiar blue that cannot be found in sapphires, or those who love emerald’s colour, but do not have the budget for an emerald without inclusions. By offering alternatives, the jeweller proves to the customer he or she knows about more gems than just the ‘big four.’

Three blue spinels. Spinel comes in many colours and can stand in for several classic gemstones.

In addition to budget, it is important to consider hardness when working with gemstones. Generally, when designing rings, gemstones with a hardness of at least 7 on the Mohs scale are used. Some exceptions can be made, as with opal and tanzanite, but this results in a more fragile piece.

Another factor to consider is colour. Did your customer see a colour he/she liked on the Internet? What was the colour of her old earrings? What is precisely the colour you need, and which gemstones offer it?

Alternatives can also be necessary with protected materials such as red coral and elephant ivory. The spreadsheets in this article can be used to show your clients a simple way to differentiate between gemstones and make it easy for them to choose.

It should be noted this article only offers natural gemstones as alternatives. Synthetics and imitations were not put into consideration. The hardness of the gems is presented in accordance with the Mohs scale of hardness. Additionally, all the gemstones listed are being generally compared to their counterparts and can differ from the colour descriptions and or general appearance. The gemstone world is a big one!

Diamond

A 3.11-carat natural zircon. This gem has good lustre and dispersion and is a cheaper alternative to diamond.

There are a lot of options in the natural gemstone kingdom to stand in for diamond, but few of them can really take its place. Not everyone can afford diamonds these days, but many people would love to have the qualities associated with them: colourlessness, good lustre and cut, and large size. Having other options can show the client he/she has a choice in the matter and allow you to respect his/her budget without opting for synthetics. Four natural colourless gemstone alternatives are sapphire, topaz, zircon, and quartz (Figure 1). Each offers unique advantages and disadvantages and can fit different budgets.

Budget plays a big part in clients’ decision-making most of the time, but there are also other characteristics they should consider to make the best, most educated choice. For example, sapphire is the second-hardest gem after diamond in this category, but if you want to see fire in the stone, zircon is the best option. It all depends on the feature the client wants most—for example, if he/she desires low cost and good hardness, quartz would be best, while those looking for a long-lasting, hard gem should choose topaz. (Quartz can also be found in Canada, which can appeal to those who want Canadian gems.)

Some other, less-known alternatives include goshenite (colourless beryl), rutile (a rare find), danburite, petalite, and garnet (for more, see the 14th edition of Guide des pierres précieuses by Walter Schummann).

Ruby

Rubellite, such as the 0.58-carat piece pictured, offers good hardness, good lustre, and comparatively low cost.

The blood-red colour usually associated with ruby is one of the hardest to achieve naturally. Along with sapphire and emerald, ruby offers one of the richest colours in nature. More often than not, it is also included and pinkish in colour when the highest quality cannot be reached. Substitutes for this gemstone are limited, but not impossible to find. Natural alternatives to provide its attractive colour include garnet, rubellite, spinel, and zircon (Figure 2).

Of these options, spinel would be the closest to ruby in colour and hardness, but its prices are also quick to rise—though they are still not at the same level as ruby of the same quality. Following closely behind is zircon with its deep red colour. The only problem with zircon in the long term is abrasions, which appear more easily than with the other choices.

Most of the time, garnet (the low-cost option) has a brownish tone with the red. This does not bother everyone, so it is a good possibility. Rubellite can be found with a deep red, but most often it has a pink tone making it more fuchsia, and it is also frequently a gem that has inclusions.

Red fluorite, bixbite (red beryl), andesine, and dravite could also be strong options.

Emerald ... "

https://www.jewellerybusiness.com/featu ... natives/3/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Beyond the big four: Finding natural gemstone alternatives

Post by SwordfishMining »

I like the charts. But it is easiest for me to just sell what I mine than try to resell. Even that goes real slow when Im more concerned with the mines and my friends mines than the gemstones.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"