There’s a New Peridot Mine in the Changbai Mountains

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Woohoo! More peridot for our August babies and all who love this beautiful glowing green gemstone. There's a small slideshow so I'll show you the pics in the article, and one from the slideshow which is where I cut this off. Enjoy! :)

By Brecken Branstrator
brecken.branstrator@nationaljeweler.com
August 17, 2020

Fuli Gemstones will not only mine the peridot deposit in China but also process, sort, grade and cut it.

"New York—In the northeastern region of China called Jilin, by the border with North Korea, there’s a new mine producing vivid, grass-green peridot.

Gemstones have been sourced in the area since the middle of the 20th century, but newcomer Fuli Gemstones decided a few years back to look for the primary deposit.

Fuli was founded in 2015. Just a year later, on the eve of the Chinese New Year, the company found the primary deposit and instantly realized what it had, Chief Marketing Officer Pia Tonna told National Jeweler in a recent interview.

The Yiqisong Nanshan mine, in which Fuli now has a controlling share, is the largest peridot deposit in the world, the company claims.

It’s located in Dunhua, Jilin Province near the Changbai Mountains, and produces rich, clean, grass- green peridot gemstones that Fuli said require no treatment.

The company has yet to start bulk production but retrieved enough samples during the geological survey that it’s able to start showing production to potential clients and designers.

While Tonna declined to share projected production numbers, she did say Fuli will be able to provide a “steady supply” of stones once it begins mining, including some large specimens.

A 301-carat rough peridot was recently recovered from the site.

Fuli also has a cutting facility near the mine with about 20 cutters, according to Tonna, and has developed cuts with more than 110 facets to take advantage of peridot’s high refractivity.

While Fuli is vertically integrated to ensure the quality and consistency of cutting as well as the flow of its rough, the company also is open to partnering with select cutters to create one-of-a-kind stones.

“We want people to innovate with them, really push outside the box,” Tonna said.

Fuli has not yet started bulk sampling but gathered material during a geological survey. ... '

This one weighs 14.49 carats (about 2.90 grams).

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/diamond ... -mountains
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: There’s a New Peridot Mine in the Changbai Mountains

Post by SwordfishMining »

Great. A new source and from appearances it is an actual hole in the ground, not some laboratory or worse source. Can't wait to see the pictures & the rough in the market so we can figure out how to tell it apart from the other mines.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"