Amanda’s Style File: Welcoming June with Birthstones

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This one is a feast for those who love pearls and moonstones, with two articles I found for you; the first of which has a really good lineup of jewels for you to enjoy. I'll show you 3 favorites from that one since there are so many, my favorite being the last one, and you can use the link to view the other dozen plus. The second article, from JCK, is all pearls, and I'll just show you the lead pic from that one since it's my favorite of the lot. Enjoy! :)

By Amanda Gizzi
agizzi@jewelers.org
June 5, 2020

'May was a marathon. It felt like it dragged on and on, while simultaneously seeming to fly by.

Now, in a blink of an eye, June is upon us.

June is typically a time of celebration: graduations, Pride festivities and weddings.

But 2020 is not a typical year and many celebrations are being put on hold or taking the backseat as we fight important battles as a country.

While celebrations will be different this year, those who have a birthday this month deserve to be celebrated with one of three wonderful birthstone options.

Alexandrites, cultured pearls and moonstones have magical qualities that make them as distinct as the individuals who wear them.

The pieces of jewelry featured in this Amanda’s Style File let the stones and pearls be the stars of the designs.

Here are 18 pieces to explore and celebrate this month. ... "

Brent Neale large Clam Shell Ring in 18-karat yellow gold with South Sea pearl, white diamonds, emeralds and sapphires ($15,500)

I favor Tahitian pearls that are this color, and have a ring with one this color next to a white pearl. 8-)

Harwell Godfrey Poison Ring with Tahitian pearl center stone set in 18-karat yellow gold ($5,990)

Omi Privé cat’s eye alexandrite ring set in platinum and accented with alexandrites and diamonds ($51,000)

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/galleri ... irthstones

White/Space Jewelry and Its Irresistible Pearls
June 5, 2020 by Brittany Siminitz

"There is so much work to be done. That’s the headline of a recent article penned by Victoria Gomelsky, our editor-in-chief, and a statement that echoes the thoughts and intentions of JCK’s editors. I’m one of them.

I have struggled to find my own proper “statement” because I know, I know, that I have contributed to the problem. You know how you just go about your day-to-day business sometimes, sort of on autopilot, doing your own thing, not paying anything else much mind? Yeah. That’s a problem.

It’s a problem because the work that I’m introduced and drawn to, and subsequently feature—which I cherish very much—is mostly helmed by white artists, and not making the conscious decision to dig a little deeper to find a more diverse representation of jewelry design means we are all the worse for it.

The call for a mindful, purposeful for path to diversity has been ringing in our ears for years. We write about it when we highlight the designers worn on red carpets. We think and talk about it when the hashtags are trending over the lack of diversity at award shows. We agree with it. So why aren’t we all living our lives to that standard?

I saw a post on Instagram today about Marilyn Monroe and how she used her white privilege to amplify a voice—Ella Fitzgerald’s. According to stories, Monroe used her star power to persuade West Hollywood’s Mocambo nightclub to book Ella (some accounts say the club wouldn’t book Fitzgerald due to her race, others say it was due to the owner’s reluctance to feature a true jazz singer). Whatever the reason, can you imagine a world without the voice of Ella Fitzgerald? No, thank you.

Well I’m no Marilyn Monroe (bummer, I know). But I can use this platform, however small, to try and showcase a more inclusive portfolio of work. Those whose voices speak, at least partially, through jewelry.

Hannah Becker of @diamondoodles fame has compiled a list of more than 70 black-owned jewelry businesses, and it’s a gift to the industry. Not only does it broaden our industry collectively to include more representation for people of color, but it also introduces a wealth of new (to some of us—many of the names are new to me) jewelry brands to cover, celebrate, purchase from, and wear. As jewelry lovers, I know you all can appreciate the giddiness that comes with learning of new creators. I love that feeling.

I intend to go through this list thoroughly in time, but one of the first jewelers pictured swept me up and brought me here to write this: White/Space Jewelry, a brand founded by Khadijah Fulton, a graduate of Parsons School of Design.

Fulton’s aesthetic speaks to me, as perfectly described on the brand’s website:

“After becoming a mother, Khadijah found that she wanted to create items that honored a confident, subdued interpretation of style—approachable yet distinct, with versatility and longevity at the fore.”

That’s exactly what I need in my life. And I know many women, moms or not, who feel this. Easy, carefree jewels that you can throw on and feel special, unencumbered. But still something that will have people asking, “Wow, where did you get that?” ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... ry-pearls/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)