Here Are the Winners of JA’s 2020 CASE Awards for Jewelry Design

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

The Jewelers of America's CASE Awards entries stunningly display of a wide array of gemstones that are a veritable feast for the eyes, and one of them even featured Arkansas turquoise, which I had no idea even existed in my home state, so I will link you to the slideshow of them at the very bottom under the pics of the entries. :o

There's also an Australian opal ring that's stunning, which even converts to a necklace, so I'm going to show you a few of my favorites from this article featuring the winners, as well as those two entries, and I plan to get lost in the slideshow again later on, time permitting of course, so I hope you enjoy them as much as I do, and still plan to.

I just love the design and color of the ring in the lead pic of the article, and was really impressed with the rutilated quartz pendant since cutting gems with rutile can be very tricky, but I'll show you three of my favorites, of which the South Sea golden pearl ring is the ultimate favorite, amazingly enough, even though the other two have opals. Maybe I'd better check my temperature because something seems really wrong here. :lol:

So without further ado, have fun checking these out, and let the drooling begin. Image

May 29, 2020 by Amy Elliott

"For the fourth consecutive year in a row, I have served as a judge in Jewelers of America’s CASE Awards jewelry design competition. The annual event recognizes JA members who exhibit creativity, artistry, style, and superb execution in a range of price-point categories. Winners were announced live during yesterday’s Jewelers of America Virtual National Convention. Exactly a week ago, I joined judges Terry Chandler, Diamond Council of America; Deirdre Featherstone, Featherstone Design; Amanda Gizzi, Jewelers of America; Michelle Graff, National Jeweler; Cheryl Kremkow, Gem Obsessed; and Steve Velasquez, Madison Jewelers in evaluating our top picks from the more than 100 submissions to arrive at the lineup presented below.

Naturally, things were a little bit different this year, in that we reviewed the submissions and voted on our top choices digitally (the judging was blind as it always is) and then gathered via a GoToMeeting videoconference to collectively discuss the top contenders in each category.

The 2020 CASE Award judges during the videoconference. (I’m on the far right—no, I didn’t shower that day. Yes, I’m aware that I am in desperate need of a haircut and highlights.)

Usually this is all done in person, and we have the chance to touch, turn over, and try on the pieces as part of the process. Not being able to do that this year was a challenge, but it was still pretty easy for us to separate the really primo wheat from the chaff.

A new category, Suppliers (otherwise known as independent designers who provide retailers with original jewelry works to sell), was introduced to 2020 edition of the competition as well. This year, two JCK editor favorites are among the winners: Lori Friedman of Loriann Jewelry and Eve Streicker of Original Eve Designs. (Streicker is also the Women’s Jewelry Association New York Metro chapter president.)

Some inside scoop: There was a robust discussion about the Retailer $5,001 to $10,000 category and whether it should be the ring that won or a pair of really well done gold and diamond earrings. We judges were split down the middle, but eventually all were able to agree that the rarity of the fancy-cut rosé-colored padparadscha sapphire, and the design choices that were made to amplify its femininity (framing the marquise-cut stone in a lacy collar of mixed-cut diamonds, effectively transforming it into a kind of neo-Victorian valentine) made it a unique but universally appealing expression of modern romance, whether it’s destined to become someone’s engagement ring or a treasured piece of personal jewelry.

See below for the full list of winning designs—let us know what you think in the comments! ... "

Pendant with 15.86 ct. carved Australian opal in 14k white gold, $3,800; Mike Anderson at Brody Designs

Stud earrings with Ethiopian opal, tanzanite, green sapphires, and diamonds in 14k gold $1,250; Loriann Jewelry

I think y'all will have to admit these pearls have fantastic color; truly golden. :!:

Ring with golden South Sea golden pearls, fancy yellow and white brilliant-cut diamonds, and green garnets in 18k white gold, $5,000; Jack Ferrero

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... d-winners/

Here's that opal ring that converts to a necklace from the entries link I'll post below. 8-)

18K yellow gold ring holding a 16.5 carat boulder black opal. The ornament can be easily removed from the ring shank and worn as a pendant. The accent diamonds are hearts & arrows diamonds. Opal Fields
Designer: Thomas Wheel
Honolulu, HI

And while I'm at it, here's that Arkansas turquoise that I said I didn't know existed. :? :oops:

18K green gold drop earrings with a pair of 18ctw Arkansas turquoise with natural color, from the Mona Lisa Mine, accented with a pair of 5.55ctw Pakistan peridot cut by Clay Zava. The turquoise is blue in body color with an unusual green thumbprint at the top of each dome. The earrings will hang from a long bishop hook ear wire, with small movement between gems.
Laura Stanley Personal Jeweler
Designer: Laura Stanley
Little Rock, AR

https://www.jewelers.org/ja/events-news ... 0-entrants
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)