9 Special Spectrum Entries: Giving Out My Own Awards

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

These are really quirky and unusual. The pearl ring is hilarious, the glasses are quite stylish, but they're all true works of art, and the padparadscha and trapiche emerald rings are stupendous. The boulder opal and tsavorite earrings are the nicest celestial design I've seen in quite a while, and I'm mystified as to how the aquamarines were set in the lower rings of the last pair of earrings, which I guess I'll show you as my favorite for that reason alone, since they wouldn't be my choice to purchase. I asked in another thread how these could be set as they are but nobody gave any ideas, so I hope someone comes up with something this time and that y'all get as big a kick out of these as I did. :)

By Brecken Branstrator
brecken.branstrator@nationaljeweler.com
August 12, 2019

Omi Prive’s padparadscha sapphire and diamond ring was a highlight of the 2019 AGTA Spectrum Awards for Senior Editor Brecken Branstrator.

"Put hundreds of pieces of jewelry, food and mimosas in a sunlit Manhattan loft for one day and you’ve got some pretty happy editors.

Last Tuesday, the National Jeweler team headed to the West Village to take part in the AGTA Spectrum Editors’ Day event, where we walked through tables and tables of creations.

I don’t know if it was just me being more attracted to the deep colors, but it seemed like there were quite a few tanzanite pieces this year. There seemed to be an abundance of blues and pinks, and starburst motifs were also really popular.

And while it was great to get to look through so many different designs, there were a number that stood out to me for various reasons.

You got to see pictures of the first-place winners, according to the Spectrum judges, in my story last week, so I thought I’d go beyond those and show you some other notable creations from Editors’ Day through my own fun awards.

Enjoy! ... "

So how the heck did this guy get those aquas perched like that so that they're stable? Any ideas? :?:

Sean Gilson’s platinum earrings featuring onyx toroids accented with 8.78 carats of aquamarine and diamonds (.36 total carats).

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/blog/79 ... own-awards
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: 9 Special Spectrum Entries: Giving Out My Own Awards

Post by SwordfishMining »

Over & under the setting maybe on the top ones where the gold circles the inside of the ring as you can see the prongs. On the bottom they have to be attached via holes drilled and glued to settings.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
m76steve

Post by m76steve »

i agree, u can see the prongs on the sides of the stone, the stones have a frame on the bottom of the stones & the frame probably has a stem that can be placed in the stone material in a drilled hole-guessing on my part. ive included pics of a lapis stone with a frame that follows the curves on the stone, on the bottom, a general idea of how this was done, my pendent is not as well finished as the pictured item, but this an example of good gold work done on fine jewelry- 8-)
lapis back a.JPG
lapis fnt a.JPG
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

The prongs and the frame around the stone don't matter, it's how it's connected to the ring that I'm questioning. Do you think it's welded to a post on the ring, or welded directly to the ring? It almost looks like the connection has a tiny gold stem between the ring and the prong to me, but I suppose it could be a direct weld. I know gold is strong, but was thinking if it is a prong it could be accidentally bent which would ruin the look of it. Image

Guess the only way to find out is to buy it and take a look for myself. Yeah right. :lol:
PinkDiamond

m76steve

Post by m76steve »

e are talking @ the onyx earrings, correct? it looks as the stones are attached to the onyx on stems drilled into the stones & glued in place, if done right, very sturdy & true art- :? 8-)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Ahh, thanks Steve! Yes, it looks like I'm seeing a post or stem between the onyx and the prong, and I don't see how it could have been welded directly onto the onyx, but I don't know anything about what can be done so I had to ask because it seemed it needed a post inserted into the onyx that was welded to the frame/prong to do it. They'd better drill that angle exactly right or the whole look would be spoiled. :lol:
PinkDiamond