New horizons: How fresh discoveries push the gemstone industry forward

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This article is from two years ago, so it's not really new news, but it does have great information on blue gemstones; in this case blue garnet and tanzanite. I'll cut it off near the end of page 2, so the link will take you there, and the tanzanite is on page 3 where there's a great shot some heated rough. Enjoy! :)

October 1, 2018
By Lauriane Lognay

All photos courtesy Rippana Inc.

"As a writer and, most importantly, as a gemstone wholesaler, I try to keep up with all the new discoveries, treatments, and price fluctuations happening in the gem industry. The gemmology world is a scientific community, bent on learning everything there is to know about every gem there is to discover. Each year, at least 50 new minerals, rocks, and gems are discovered. They vary in importance, and not all are gem quality or even useful, so of those 50, only one or two at most make it into the jewellery market.

Discovering new varieties and new gems is always exciting for jewellers and for our clients. Customers get to have more choice, more colours, and a bigger price range for gems. Looking for green? No problem—we have 10 gems from which you can choose. Looking for a certain price? No problem—we have three options for you! The more we discover, the more possibilities we can present.

Even better are the cases where the discovery is a new variety of an existing stone, because we already know a lot about the gem, its hardness, and how to work with it on the bench. We simply get to enjoy a new colour.

Something blue

In November of last year, the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) confirmed this gem to be a blue variety of garnet.

In the last five years, a surprising amount of interesting new gem varieties have arrived on the scene, including grape botryoidal agates from Indonesia, ammonite negatives with pyrite (mostly from Russia), aquaprase quartz from Africa, and much more. So, when a supplier came to me with a new variety of gemstone in June 2017, I was already waiting for something great. I didn’t know I would be getting something amazing!

I bought some roughs of the new gem, which my supplier claimed was a blue variety of garnet. There was no proof the stone was what he said it was—the purchase was all based on trust. However, I knew the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) was also getting a sample.

In November of that year, the institute confirmed the stone to be blue-green pyrope-spessartine garnet with high vanadium or, in simpler terms, the first blue garnet by GIA definition.

Every gemmology schoolbook will tell you garnet does not exist in this particular colour, except in the form of a colour-change garnet, in which case blue is not the primary hue. (It’s more of a bluish-green in sunlight, and a violet-red when lit by light-emitting diode [LED].) To quote GIA:

“Unlike traditional blue-green garnets that exhibit a color change from purplish or orange red in incandescent light to bluish or yellowish green in daylight, these essentially remained blue in the lighting conditions we tested (CIE standard illuminants D65, A, F10, and F9, and a cool LED light with a 7500K color temperature). They showed only a weak color change from violet or blue in incandescent light … to green or blue-green in daylight.“

Blue garnet’s colour is caused mainly by the element vanadium. Normally, in a pyrope-spessartite colour-change garnet, the colours come from vanadium and manganese, but to this author’s knowledge, this new type has a higher dose of vanadium than ever previously seen. The first deposit (and the only one, as far as we know) is at the border of Tanzania and Kenya.

Round blue garnet specimens under incandescent light, measuring 3.5 mm (0.13 in.) and 3 mm (0.11 in.).

Why is this a big discovery?

The discovery of blue garnet proves nothing is impossible—if a gemstone doesn’t exist in a certain colour, maybe it just has not been found yet. What’s more, this gem brings a new type of blue to the market! Its dark and saturated greenish-blue is a new option that differs from sapphire, indicolite tourmaline, tanzanite (which is more violet-blue), spinel (more teal-blue), topaz (sky blue, Swiss blue, and London blue), zircon (turquoise-blue), and aquamarine.

With a hardness of 7 on the Mohs scale, this gem is perfect for any kind of jewellery and offers a new birthstone colour choice for January babies. (For more, consult the Practical Gemmology Handbook, published by the Gemmological Association and Gem Testing Laboratory of Great Britain [Gem-A] in 2012.) A few faceted specimens have been released on the market, although big roughs (larger than two carats) are rare to nonexistent at the moment. Gemmologists, laboratories, and jewellers alike have jumped at the opportunity to buy this blue gem, and finding the material has become difficult.

Rough deal

Buying blue garnet is also a challenging task because the Tanzanian government has been changing the laws in the country to benefit the economy—a good thing for Tanzania, but not so much for outside buyers. The selling of rough gemstones has become complicated, as most of the rough has to be cut in the country before it is exported elsewhere, completely changing the prices and market.

A 1.42-carat blue garnet rough from the deposit in Tanzania, shown under incandescent light.

In Tanzania, smaller roughs (those under a carat) are almost never cut inside the country. Therefore, with new laws forbidding the sale of facet rough outside Tanzania, it has become difficult for smaller rough to be sold for cutting. Tanzanian cutters are well known for cutting bigger-sized gems, unlike those in India, for example, who are known to be good with smaller rough and gems.

Blue garnet is one of the gems found in small sizes, and is therefore difficult to get out of Tanzania now. Much of the industry is expecting (but hoping against) a rise in prices for all gemstones from Tanzania, including spinels, garnets, tanzanites, and tourmalines, if the laws don’t change again soon. Suppliers in the country are ... "

https://www.jewellerybusiness.com/featu ... forward/2/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)