Any ideas on this Coober Pedy?

Ask the pro's for a guesstimate of your opal value here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Brightlights

Any ideas on this Coober Pedy?

Post by Brightlights »

Hello all,

Anyone know what's the going rate for coober pedy white base with green, blues and a bit of red? Obviously, better than the pic I've attached but my camera sucks. It's almost skin 2 skin.

Nope, I'm not trying to sell it, it came from Am old estate collection I got and I'm trying to figure out cost per caret if i cut it.

Right now it's weight is 32.5 grams and is about 90% cuttable. (Small amount of potch is what you see under the weight.)

Yes, there is a $ amount under my thumb but it was from YEARS ago (30+) and I just re traced over the worn off pencil before I lost it so that I knew what it was going for way back then...

I think Mick would be the go-to guy on this since he's still selling on OA, but I haven't heard back from the PM I sent him... :(

I've been out of the game for a while, but been thinking of if I should cut this or save it as it's a hefty piece compared to what I usually play with. Kids finally went back to school this week, so that is why I've been around more. (I think Pink asked once, but I forgot what thread and never answered...) Anyways, we got our Annual Club Rock Show in September and I was just thinking if I could bang it out it for my display case, etc. :D

Thanks for any suggestions you may offer.

0826160043-2.jpg
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
PinkDiamond

Re: Any ideas on this Coober Pedy?

Post by PinkDiamond »

I think mick would be the one who could answer this off the top of my head, BL. Let's hope he pops in soon and replies, or maybe one of our other members in Oz will stop by. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
mick

Post by mick »

Ohh sorry just seen the pm.

You have to understand, that the faintest whisp of blue or green in white Opal is worth 20 bucks a carat polished. Thats not my price, thats the wholesale market price. Hold on the sun is out I will find one. Here is one, that took 5 min, got lucky. Only pic for the day.
001 [1600x1200].JPG

Its hard to tell but I think your stone is worth around 1500 an ounce or so as is. Thats about 10 bucks a carat I think. So this should cut 30 bucks a carat or so and up. So could cut 4-5 grands worth of Opal. Maybe a 2k polished big stone my price is my guess. Lot of work to cut it into small cabs for rings but that is how the money is made.

Like I said its hard to tell, but it is good Opal I can see that much.
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

Thanks for the info Mick!

Ok, maybe ill break down and cut it... For bragging fun, here's the full cycle of pictures as I rotate it. You see the price from the last owner that has since passed and it may have been mined about the year I was born (72) from talking to his family.

Yes, I updated the old price with a sharpie, but all I did was write over his pencil markings because I was afraid I'd loose the price and info when I cleaned the initial crud and stuff that was on it from sitting in the bottom of the rock box. So that was the initial asking price back whenever he got it.

0904162256-1.jpg

0904162256e-1.jpg

0904162256g-1.jpg

0904162256h-1.jpg

0904162257a-1.jpg

0904162257b-1.jpg

0904162257d-1.jpg

WOOT!
mick

Post by mick »

WOW if that was mined in the 70s, I need to get a job selling Opal, or I fluked a very good guess at its current value!

The back is not so bad, I would clean it up, see whats going on then decide. 32g is a lot of cts.
Speckee

Post by Speckee »

I've got a large pickle jar FULL of the green pin-fire CP opal. It was mined in the 70's also. Couldn't guess the carats if I tried. Glad to get a ball-park figure on what it might be worth if I ever decide to get rid of it.
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

Speckee wrote:if I ever decide to get rid of it.

That it's the Number one problem with hoarding opal... IF... :lol: :lol: :lol:
mick

Post by mick »

There was a good article in The Australian newspaper on Opal MIning recently and the prices, I will see If I can post it for you all.