What do you think of this opal??

Ask the pro's for a guesstimate of your opal value here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

opalcreations

What do you think of this opal??

Post by opalcreations »

Hi all,
As I've been cutting away at boulder opals for my pendants, I thought maybe I should think about the value of just the stones alone before I add them to my creations, but even after all these years, I'm no further ahead at valuing an opal than when I started...lol.

Please take a look at this stone, it's dry, and the finished polish has been completed, although I still have to pretty up the back of the stone some more before I set it in wire wrap.

As with most boulders, the face is not perfect, and it is actually more of a carving, as it follows the natural contours of the original stone. It's impossible to get rid of all the pits and weird features in a boulder without treating it somehow or filling it, which I don't do. :)

It has some nice directional fire as it is turned in the light, video would be nice, but I'm still working on that...lol. I think it's a little bit more sparkly and bright than the pics show.

What do you think a boulder opal stone like this would be worth just as it is, ballpark, nothing "exact".
It weighs 30.7 carats and measures 34mm x 18mm x 6.9mm.

Thanks!
Chris :)

20feb2016-boulder-opal-1.jpg

20feb2016-boulder-opal-2.jpg

20feb2016-boulder-opal-3.jpg

20feb2016-boulder-opal-4.jpg

20feb2016-boulder-opal-5.jpg

20feb2016-boulder-opal-6.jpg

20feb2016-boulder-opal-7.jpg

20feb2016-boulder-opal-8.jpg

20feb2016-boulder-opal-9.jpg
PinkDiamond

Re: What do you think of this opal??

Post by PinkDiamond »

Darn, I just saw an article on OA about how to value different types of opal, but I can't find the email that led me to it. You might search their articles for it. I think it was written by Wayne, and i think it was done recently; like within the past week or two. Sorry I can't be of more help than that, but I always have trouble figuring out value, too, since I'm not an appraiser, and don't know the value of the various types of opal. :?
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

That's OK Pink, if you don't know, then I don't feel so bad....lol.

I know the basic rule of thumb is that whatever you can get for an opal is what it is worth, but I'm just wondering if what "I" think it's worth is in reality what someone who really knows would think it is worth
:)
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Doesn't look like a real high quality boulder but it does still have precious play of color and it has nice size. I'd probably set it in a silver wrap and sell it for $99. But, I'm still not very good with pricing either so feel free to shoot me. lol ;)
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
mick

Post by mick »

Its anicve little piece, it would sell for 300 in a shop in Australia as is.
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Wish I could find buyers like that. ;)
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

mick wrote:Its anicve little piece, it would sell for 300 in a shop in Australia as is.

Thanks Mick, i had a feeling the retail would be around that amount in a shop environment.
Chris:)
mick

Post by mick »

Opal is very expensive, it costs a lot to mine, and mine for months with no Opal, living off credit? people have no idea how hard it is to find and mine Opal. Then find color, then enough of it to sell. The miner makes the least out of everyone in the chain.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Thanks Mick,
I agree, opal is under valued for the amount of effort it takes to bring it to the market.
If people only knew the blood sweat and tears it took to get an opal into their hands, they would have far more respect for the stones, and the miners who risk their lives to get it to them.
Chris :)