Value Your Opal - Website

Ask the pro's for a guesstimate of your opal value here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

OpalSpectrum

Value Your Opal - Website

Post by OpalSpectrum »

couple days ago 1 seller shared this website where you can 'value' your opals > https://opalvalue.com/index.php

I tested it for some time and this is what I think

the site is quite cool and easy to use and in my opinion it might be useful but ... the results are not 'correct' so people should not use it to define the 'real opal value' especially those without any opal knowledge
I like the system of categories you have to choose but it's missing few things like some : color mix or pattern types
which mean that in some cases I can't choose the 'right' options :oops:
other thing are the results >

in case of Australian opals (especially Lightning Ridge dark and black) the results are generally quite good (the value is much closer to marked value)
and I was very surprised that some prices were very close but still not all of the results were OK and some were quite strange :roll:

when it comes to Ethiopian Welo opals the results are waaay off the actual market :oops: :shock:
- I mean I wish they are real but in 99% of cases it's impossible to sell Welo for what 'they' say :roll:
but I'm talking about high quality Welo :idea: :arrow: with medium grade Welo the results/prices are much lower and more accurate with todays market but still I don't recommend to rely on it with 100%

I wonder what others will say about it :roll:

greets
:geek:
Last edited by OpalSpectrum on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
SwordfishMining

Re: Value Your Opal - Website

Post by SwordfishMining »

The first thing I saw was not enough data for America, then they wanted my idea of how good an opal was and a picture of my valuation. I imagine after a few dozen people run a few thousand stones across it their AI will get better at telling you what people will price their opals at. I would imagine from prior experiences with opal grading systems, it will price "data available", "their", opal more or less realistically & the competition over priced (or reflect a buyers market a with sub retail "wholesale" bias). But Im not working for them as I have a hard enough time pricing my gems realistically in my reality to overcome the lie they can't exist long on top of the bigger lie they are all cursed and buyers will die thanks to the vile mainstream competition.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Thank you for the link and the review on it, OS. That's very helpful to be aware of before members use it, and I hope others will also report their thoughts on it like John did. I'm not surprised to hear it's flawed, but John's probably right that the algorithm will learn as people submit more data. Please keep us posted if anyone uses it. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

@John I'm not sure but I think this site use info/data from sold opals (*buy it now)
..and there are many opal types which are not included simply because there is not enough data or grading etc..
for example Brazilian opals are more or less available on the market for many years and they are still not very well known :roll:

but it doesn't work anyway , even with only 2 regions :oops: and I think with more types and regions it would only get worst :roll:

in my opinion no one should take these type of 'grading sites' seriously LOL :?: :idea: *although I'm sure there are some who do :? :lol:

:geek:

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<