australian black opal & black crystal opal...

Ask the pro's for a guesstimate of your opal value here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

m76steve

australian black opal & black crystal opal...

Post by m76steve »

this is a redoo or addition to the opal pendent listed before, the new stone, 4.1ct black crystal opal, australian, was bought for a friend of mine who after seeing the stone decided it was not as she thought, her loss, here it is & its no slouch-steve... :o :lol:
IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG
PinkDiamond

Re: australian black opal & black crystal opal...

Post by PinkDiamond »

They're really lovely opals, m76, but I'm not sure I like the side-by-side mounting. I think I would have mounted them one over the other to make the pendant long instead of wide. It seems to be those circles/rings between them that makes me say that since my eye seems to want to focus on them and the gap between the stones instead of the opals. I'm sure it wouldn't do that in hand, but in photos the rings and gap are a distraction. Are both opals about the same weight so it hangs straight? I hope you don't mind me giving my opinion, but no matter how they're set you have 2 beautiful opals there. Thanks for sharing the new design. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Thats a rather nice match face up. A pleasant a symetricalness to the sameness. I, like Pink, would have done singles for each stone. I'm kinda iffy on the circles too on second look as they do seem to draw you in like a bullseye like the circles holding them together too. You did good making a unique presentation of the two. I always milk 2 sided stones with open settings. Just not refined enough I guess, since Im hardly a beginner in metal work.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
m76steve

Post by m76steve »

The pendent was put together as a side by side because the 2 stones are different in that the location of the material is different, both are lightning ridge but one is black opal, the one on the right is 'black crystal opal', me not being up on the different opals & location i went for the side to side to show the colors are well done, but the right stone is color top to bottom, the other is typical black opal, color from the side & top only. the space was put by john to get access to the prongs on both stones. the frame is 14kt white gold & very well finished. when this is worn & viewed the colors do speak out & the space becomes secondary. basically this is a pendent of real australian ridge opal which is getting very hard to find w/good show & prices rising by the month- :roll: 8-) thanku all for ur opinion-stevie...