Slow Opal

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SwordfishMining

Re: Slow Opal

Post by SwordfishMining »

I was wondering if a black dry erase marker would darken it enough to tell & wash out harmlessly later? Be consumed.
I still have not tripped on my parcel of black crusty chunks again, or that big chunk of good tiger Iron i found in my benefactors garden, now that i think of it. It may be underground for after the burn. I got paranoid at one point with a felon & put some things away for later out of reach in buried treasures since i had plenty of new in reach.
I am buying a vacuum chamber next to crank out some bookends. Kinda like boulder opal tho, if its good enough to see, its good enough to make cabs from usually. I was using s Swest gold casting unit my daughter had before the Phoenix Fire burned out that sides inheritance stash in losing their storage with the town earlier & it seemed to be better at pulling the space age polymer (crazy glue) in better than wicking. Our wood can be variable penetrable.
I managed to get a harvester ant bite on my arm rinsing off the latest haul from out little agate hill nearby.
Ive been stung so much in my life I am now allergic. Off for a Benadryl.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Figures you'd mention the only thing I haven't tried and do not have at home...lol... now I gotta go buy one....
I've tried dark roast concentrated instant coffee, permanent black marker, black RIT dye, black ink, black stain, and a few others. If there are other tinkerers out there who are saying "hey I'ma try that", they do not work good or good enough. Some work a little bit. AND please please please don't use thinned black epoxy.....LOL.....it will utterly ruin your project (well, probably) and is super hard to completely get out/off. I've tried lots of stuff, and have not found a good one yet. It IS possible that I didn't try it CORRECTLY. But I guess a tinkerer will do what they will do...lol... you never know. Some combination of something simple COULD be the proverbial "holy grail"...lol.... Weird but true: Black ink (and other black formulations) when diluted are most times or some times actually dark blue/purple. Try it with a black permanent marker and dilute with alcohol...
SwordfishMining

Kinda on the poisonous side but silver nitrate. Its used in photography or you can make your own as i just found a video. I have not got to this point yet. Still would have to pull it all the way into hydrophane opals, but a coat on matrix might work?
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

OK, here's the first individual pics of the untreated matrix opal that I have. Man, it IS tough to see the color. But under bright light and a bit of magnification here's the first piece. Mid Grade, 23.1 carats. Hard to see any color in this pic, but overall I can see a blueish tinge. You? Or am I imagining it? Straight on to the light (not at any intentional angle).
Attachments
unM2.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Then, two pics, same piece, under bright light, one under magnification, but at a big angle to the direct light. I can see (I think, man) two blue colors and maybe some green. Its wet. Still tough to see, but visible, and slightly more visible in hand because I can view every minute angle from all sides. Same Andamooka Matrix Opal piece, mid grade. (not the mid grade plus I mentioned in a post above). To me, it looks like people are correct, some pieces CAN be seen better only at a big angle to the direct light. And, I think I can mark out the best color oval-ish shape right on the piece. I can not say how it will turn out after carbonizing. I just don't know yet. But, into the maple syrup (diluted of course) for a double long heated soak. I am going to take my time on this one I think. Well, by hand its gonna take time anyways...lol...
Here's the two pics:
Attachments
unM1.jpg
unM3.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

I realize this piece isn't too sensational or exploding with color, sorry. But, its what I'm working on, and I did pick this sorry piece...lol... I always say, "you never know". and its true a lot of the time!... I sort of picked a plain white piece just to see... so, we'll see.
I've seen people purchasing the untreated matrix opal from all over, haven't yet seen any being done by hand, but sure would like to see others projects too...
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wow, it doesn't get much whiter than that. Do you ever increase the amount of maple syrup, or is it always the same ratio? It will be interesting to see how many shades darker it gets. It does appear bluish in the last pic. Good luck with it. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Ya, you're right! The maple syrup or sugar to water ratio is only approximate, some maple syrup, some water; or some dry sugar a bit more water.
I just don't want it the consistency of syrup when cold, some thinner than that. Heat makes it super viscous anyways. Seems to soak in pretty well with heat on with only the approximate amounts. Course thats over several hours under heat, but not boiling.
I'd bet a scientist could determine the actual average rates of sugar absorption into the matrix opal for differing sets of data, but I'm not that person. At least at this point...lol... OK, so you got me thinking about what I've seen with my own sugar soakings prior to carbonization. Its this: over several uses, a lot of "rock dust" and dirt and even carbon from previous carbonized pieces being redone gets out of the matrix and into the sugar solution. Over time, that solution turns nearly black and super cloudy. Thats all the "schmutz" in the solution, not necessarily the solution caramelizing. The sugar solution DOES caramelize some sure and turn darker. OK!...it is possible that all that junk in the sugar solution from previous uses could plug the newly put in matrix pores from absorbing sugar quickly, and prolong the process longer than it would otherwise take. Solution for the solution..lol...pour it through a coffee filter while its hot before you use it again, cleans out a lot of junk and may work better/faster.
The piece will still be soaking for a good period of time...(for those whose eyes glazed over and skipped to the last line!!).
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

I edited the above post just a bit. The middle part sounded too strident to me, when in fact I am commenting on my own observations only. Sorry about that!

And, the piece is still soaking,...lol...
Probably be in the carbonizer tomorrow, and then we'll see what is there, or not.
SwordfishMining

Hope it turns on you, as bad as that sounds. Definitely blue. I was afraid of the concrete? sandstone? that wont absorb any solution, but i hadnt seen that problem yet. Maybe when i find it again. I did sell a chair out of my fronty room so i can approach the machine a little closer, I know thats not handy, but my wristy are weenie LOL.I can do a couple wire wraps at most before resting now. Today my big goal is to relocate my keys or go back to the mountain & track myself to try and find them. Already went back over the mountain once, but lost my trail in several places & never did rewalk the first side of the creek we started off climbing. Hoped to find them back at home, but they were not there. Glad I pulled most of the keys except the essential ones off it. Wont rain again for weeks so i have half a chance.