Slow Opal

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

skywalker753

Re: Slow Opal

Post by skywalker753 »

I got that latest Andamooka Matrix Opal done by hand as best I can do it, and I do like this one. Its about 1 or 2 shades darker (body tone) after carbonization, and the color just works a bit better along with the final polish. The play of color is definitely some better. I'm aware of my own drawbacks as a photo taker (the pics are not perfectly in focus, or perfectly lit...lol...) and as an by hand opal cutter. It shows a bit different under LED desk lamp vs incandescent desk lamp. I'm getting there!...but it will be a while before I'm "there"... ;)
Here's a few pics of Andamooka Matrix Opal goodness:
Attachments
Carbon1.jpg
Carbon2.jpg
Carbon3.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

I was in the middle of doing the above Andamooka Matrix Opal, and had a different one I really wanted to work on as well. :idea: Its a Queensland Boulder Matrix Opal. They start out brown with sometimes colorful small veins of opal running through them. So, anyway, it made a decent colored, and shaped brown stone, 10.34 carats...that I decided to make black (carbonize and polish) to make the color stand out better. I think it does. I like it AND it didn't blow up...lol... :)
Here's three pics:
Attachments
BrownnBlack1.jpg
Brownnblack2.jpg
Brownnblack3.jpg
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I like both of them since the colors pop now, good job. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Looks like you got that steam explosion thing under control. I still dream of a drop it in and take out the Casaba melon, opal drying cure for our black hearted logs. I hate to say the matrix, fun, picture stones are just as dear to me as the prices of pure gems are to themselves.
at some point it does have to sell or be curated into a museum for tax credits. Hisss hisss says the snake head.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I miss his daily reports, and seeing how the opals come out so I hope all is well and he'll show us more soon. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Our habits define us, so you need to mix them up.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Sorry I haven't posted for a couple days, sometimes stuff happens! Sort of taking a few days off of working opal. When I'm not doing it I can look at other people's stuff, inferred techniques, get tips on getting better, all kinds of good stuff to get better! Well, hopefully. I did get some Untreated Rough Andamooka Matrix Opal. It is TOUGH to see ANY color in most of the pieces...lol... As soon as I can get it figured out and take some pics, with comparisons, etc...I'll do that. And then actually work the raw rough stuff. Should be fun. I don't know if it will be GOOD, but it should be fun...lol...
Well, truthfully, i bought some mediumish grade, and some fairly high grade matrix, so some should be pretty good, if I"M any good...lol... Right now in regular room light I can not tell the difference between medium grade and better grade. I know there's a fair difference, just not yet visible, but it will be...
Almost all the pieces are white rock, cream colored rock, or light light tan rock. We will get on it.
Lastly, my sort of usual disclaimer: I'm NOT an expert! I DO work a decent amount of pieces and just share as I go... :)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

OK, so I have just a couple pics of mostly untreated Andamooka Matrix Opal, and one piece of treated rough just to compare. Kinda self explanatory, but thought I'd just include a couple of labelled pics before I get started working on the untreated. They are just under desk lights.
The first question I'll decide is: Can I see enough color under light to cut the untreated matrix to shape FIRST? Then I'd only have to treat it once. I THINK I can, but am not yet certain. I'll get it wet of course (color will show better), use a bright light and magnifier. Then, I've seen that others have seen the color best when the untreated face is at a super high angle to the camera taking the pic. Haven't done that yet. Can't see it too well in the one pic, but on close in hand examination, its much easier to see the color in the treated one time rough piece. Obviously, the one piece is dark, the other very light, almost white.
Although you CAN indeed see some color in the untreated, most all the areas that appear blank now also actually have some color, possibly good color. If anybody has questions as to untreated andamooka matrix opal, I have not worked enough to know the answers yet...lol...sorry. :)
Here's the pics:
Attachments
Untreated1.jpg
Untreated2.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Hey Swordfish Mining: You commented earlier that I may have the steam explosion thing under control. Thanks! Its closer to the truth though that I have it under slightly better control!...lol... My sample size isn't big enough yet, but so far so good.
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

OK, so I had something just a bit wrong. :oops: Its in regard to seeing the color best in untreated matrix opal. Its not having the matrix at a high angle to the camera. Its having the wet untreated matrix face at a high angle to the light, and being in a position to visually see it or take a pic. I'll continue to experience new things with untreated matrix probably...lol... I just don't like putting out info that if you used it could be wrong. Thats it for now. :)