Slow Opal

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

skywalker753

Re: Slow Opal

Post by skywalker753 »

I do have another Andamooka Matrix opal to do, actually a couple more that are similar rough. Hopefully this one is better than the immediate last one, and maybe about the same as the one before that. Clearly I mis-evaluated 3-4 roughs, where I did not correctly see the color intensity in the rough, and mistook some color here and there for color everywhere! Happens...lol... I know, I know, evaluate it right before I buy it!...lol...But on the other hand if you've bought more than a few rough pieces, maybe you've experienced that sinking feeling. Only on occasion, of course, not the regular occurance...lol...
Well, lets see if I can make a decent stone anyways. If nothing else it is fun and always a learning experience. The first rough pic is as I get it, and the second one is ground and sanded, but not finished or carbonized yet. Its in the sugar solution now. Oh, its 7.8 carats, and looks bigger than that because its a bit thinner than normal (chasing that color).
Here's the two pics:........................................I DO have a really great color higher quality matrix coming up, promise........................
Attachments
SameRoughType.jpg
SameRoughType2.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

I think I'm going to leave this one a mostly rectangle, and maybe use it with a smaller round one in a pendant, probably this one sitting wide way horizontal with a small colorful round one either above or below it. Thats the idea anyways...we'll see.
I think I'm going to run out of day before I get it out of the Carbonizer and get to polishing. Hopefully in the morning.
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Well, even though its getting dark earlier now, its not late and doesn't feel like it today, so I finished the matrix I was working on. Couple of pics below, yes, I know its not stellar!... It was still fun to do tho, and I like it some. Carbonization worked, it has some color, character, and polished ok. Very simple shape.
With this specific material, when there are two parallel grains (like a piece of wood, but rock)and also differing materials that tend to produce a wavy surface, it helps to sand and grind very lightly and with the apparent grain. Not crossways going bump bump bump. Hope that makes sense. At least it did with me...lol...
Here's a few pics:
Attachments
OKkk2.jpg
Okkk.jpg
Okkk3.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

So. I found the one I wanted to work on, and the dry rough you're seeing isn't very bright. Since everyone here is an opal enthusiast, I know people can see the potential here...lol... Well, for sure if I got it wet, and then took an intro pic, but then that'd ruin any remaining suspense! I'll slice what I want off, and then weigh it and proceed. If I was estimating, I'd say this piece will finish at plus or minus 11-12 carats. We'll see! (if it makes it through the process..)
Here's the dry rough pic:
Attachments
PowerColor.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

I've got this Andamooka Matrix Opal down to a decent rub, 2000 grit, and an intro to Cerium...lol...(not carbonized or final polished).
Just a comment about the carbonizing. I've seen and read and heard (from some, not all) that taking it to about 800 mesh is about as fine as you should get before sugar soaking and carbonizing. For me, it seems to work well, no matter how high a mesh you take it to before beginning the sugar and carbonizing process. 2000 does not seem to be too high, and its worked so far every time. I mean, you still have to final sand and polish tho.
This is the closest I've ever guessed as to final weight too, 12.12 carats. Must be a mistake!...but it was correct...lol...
I saved half of this rough for some point in the future. The nearly done half of the rough is now in the sugar maple syrup solution soaking.
Enough of me writing, here's the pic so far:
Attachments
AlmostDone.jpg
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

The rectangular one doesn't show as much color as one would like, but it's still not bad, and the one above looks like a good one with all the orange in it, but I'm surprised it didn't come out darker. Was it carbonized once or twice? :?:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

A couple of the slabs I have are definitely air layered and not water layered before they weer opalized. They look like the cliffs up the canyon a little from the opal beds. Most seems to be unifrom from side to side otherwise they were chunks broken off much larger masses. Pockety opal is.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

The one I'm doing now just above, hasn't been carbonized by me yet. It was initially once, rough before I got it, and then needs it again because most of it is gone after I sand and grind it into shape. Its got pretty strong natural color (not usual) that should be enhanced when I carbonize it. But, we
will see!
It is now soaking in sugar solution, prior to my carbonization.
Whenever I get some of the non-treated rough Andamooka matrix opal parcels in the mail, I'll be sure to show pics here, its pretty easy to tell. I'll do a side by side rough pic thing(what treated rough looks like and what non-treated rough looks like) or something like that, but it will probably be a couple weeks yet.
I also have some rough non-treated Fairy Opal coming, I'll hopefully show that too, before and after treatment. That will be a few weeks too.
This is kind of an aside, but the way a lot of shipping happens from at least Australia to the US is that (for the duration of the pandemic) cleared shipments pile up and accumulate at the airport, say Sydney, or any of the other International Airports. Then when they have enough, a plane can be chartered or scheduled THEN, so I've had shipments get here in as few as 8 days, or as many as 28 days. There aren't apparently hardly any of the normal and regularly scheduled flights like used to happen and hopefully will happen again. Thats what I've been told anyways.
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

There's a step I haven't written much about; I'd feel bad if somebody had a matrix opal blow up unnecessarily. OK, so...Its after soaking in sugar solution. And BEFORE it goes into the carbonizer (or oven equivalent). I just dry them out under a regular desk lamp first for an hour. Like, within two inches of the bulb, not closer than that-ish. Its hot enough to dry them out, before risking them in an oven. How hot is it? I don't know...hot enough to be barely held in your hand, but warmer than just warm. Maybe 170F, 80C or so. Those lamps get plenty hot. Anyway thats just a suggestion. Adds an hour, lessens the risk, at least in my thinking. Then proceed as normal.
Speaking of the carbonizer, its time for the one I'm working on to go in. :)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

One step in de oiling opals I never forget to add for fellow experimenters is after you've soaked out all the mineral oil or whatever by repeated acetone or other solvent washes, you have to make sure you wash out the solvents completely with several more rinses. I have not played with pressure or vacuum in the process yet as Im still having so much fun digging.
Id just as soon see my color coming out of the ground as off of a wheel.
Let me shrink some photos....
Oregon fire opal from the Broken Chisel Mine
Oregon fire opal from the Broken Chisel Mine

precious veins in wood rough fresh from the Lowlands mine.
precious veins in wood rough fresh from the Lowlands mine.

two is too many with a slow net.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"