Slow Opal

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SwordfishMining

Re: Slow Opal

Post by SwordfishMining »

You need to open an ESTY store or you will end up with an endless collection like some people I know. I'm finding dry rough scattered in agates and shoved out of the way boxes to clear the spaces i work with. (because it was never bought fast enough despite the price advantages). I have more flats of limb casts not showing opal than I can count, but thinking they are worth 30 a pound (a lot you can identify species & wholesale used to be 1/2 retail) got me few orders. I did sell a forum member, I think it was in the murdered Facebook content of mine, a pound of twigs showing color for $100 or under 3 cents a gram, and never saw any made up. Got great review, but it was a one off where I dont have pounds to sell. Like cones. You get a hand full some years others you dont. Precious that is as anything here may turn on you.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

I don't think I've ever said WHY I'm doing this by hand Slow Opal thing with matrix opal. Maybe just a word or two, NOT in any particular order!...lol...
I'd like to get good at this.
I'd like others to try it, and then get good at it.
I'd like to do it at minimum equipment cost, and without a machine or an arbor or a Cabking, or Lortone, or Hi Tech Diamond, or a Titan...etc...
It costs UNDER 100.00 US dollars to get started, I like that.
Rough can cost 15 to 1500 US dollars, I like that (you can spend whatever you want or have to spend).
I like that cheap matrix opal can bring great fun and a good experience. And that fantastic quality matrix opal can be truly fit for the Queen.
I like that some people can empathize with one of my disasters, or laugh with me, or even AT me :shock: . Or when I may have a success, someone will just possibly think, "Hey I can do that!"... and then they do that...(or they do it way better than me!)
Those are just some of my thoughts along the way...
Then, sure its nice to have a couple pieces to pass on to others as well. I hope to not become an over-collector...lol...(Swordfish Mining, thanks for the heads up!)
For now, I'll hopefully keep getting better, and the Slow Opal train keeps rolling on... :D
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

I do have a next Andamooka Matrix Opal...
Sometimes I draw on the matrix opal, sometimes on a piece of paper, just to get an approximate idea... its 15ish carats rough.
Here's a couple of initial pics:
Attachments
Diagram.jpg
Rectangle1.jpg
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

LOL! I love the spilled maple syrup in the diagram, and good luck with it. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Ya, not made up!...lol...can get it off the desk, not so much paper...
OK, so the rough was 19 carats (weighed it) and the final matrix opal is 14.23 carats. Its pretty much what I drew on the piece of scrap paper. A matrix opal rectangle with a decent polish and some "character" in the face. I always wish the color were brighter, but its about what it should be and was advertised as. Should be able to page up just a bit to see the original rough if you'd like to. Then maybe come back down to the three smiley faces and keep reading... :) :) :)
For those who haven't worked too much with Andamooka Matrix Opal, there are several "hardness" types, for lack of a better word. Some are wear your diamond files out quick hard, and some (like this one) are relatively softer matrix. If you're leaning into one pretty good, and not getting too far, it may not be you OR your files...lol...AND If you're really leaning into it with your file and that material is really coming off of there fast, turn off your beats (ear buds for tunes) and pay attention quick, because once you take it off, well, its uh, off...lol..
Wish the play of color were evident in the pics!, (its there some) but maybe I can put some sparkle effect in or something...lol... I think this one may do well with an accent stone.
Here's a couple of pics:
Attachments
New1.jpg
New3.jpg
New2.jpg
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Not bad at all, and the first pic seems to show off the colors that are in there best. Nice work on the shaping and polish. It may not be the best one you've cut colorwise, but it looks good to me. :)
PinkDiamond

skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

So, I did an Andamooka matrix opal today that was...well...it didn't measure up to my standards. Or, I was disappointed.
It sanded fine, ground down fine, shaped ok, polished ok, had two colors, had play of color, had "character" in the face, and made it through carbonization fine.
I think I chose the rough fine, and worked it ok, it just isn't my favorite and for no single reason. I'll post a pic anyway, and I'll choose better and work better ... Rather than keep on blathering, I WILL say honestly that it was fun to do, just not a fantastic result...lol...Happens!
My outlook is to stick this experience in my pocket for reference, and then keep driving on...
Attachments
OhWell.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Pink got me thinking about hand sanding and polishing both Andamooka Matrix, and Boulder Matrix. Sure, they are WAY different...lol
But they sometimes have two commonalities: The face can at times be made from two or more different materials, and can sand and polish differently. Mostly meaning that material comes off at different rates, from material thats immediately adjacent to each other on the face. I've had this result in a wavy or rippled surface, that while not bad or unpleasant, isn't what I was trying for (a smooth surface).
I imagine that it could be similar when done on a wheel. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions that'd be awesome...
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Starbond or Cactus Juice (I haven't used yet) in a vacuum chamber & you can drop the rough with out breaking on concrete- (almost).
My friend Don who owned Hi Desert Crafts, the lapidary in Lakeveiw Or, had a brilliant piece of gem opal in wood about the size of a pack of smokes he would juggle & let bounce away off the floor to watch people **** their pants.
The polymer or resin is filled into the cavities or sponge & then it is all rock hard. Well, epoxy hard. The star bond works with pores & cracks best as it does not fill space well. Most off the commercial ammonite is just flow coated with epoxy.
The soaking & polishing removes it to just around the opal. It does nothing to/for the opal. Darkens the matrix, makes it heavier... Which is why a vacuum pot & Cactus juice are on my amazon list.
Boycotting the war mongering Chinese has hurt my supply lines. I have to pay more for made in America, or not CCP terrorist funding sites. The ones who are oblivious to what is happening around them do keep buying tho.
We have a lot of issues with jasp agates or other replacements that are frothy as I call it or have porous zones.
Im thinking i need a pint sized one & a 5 gallon sized one.
The only suggestion I have is do it flat & it cant undercut much. Use like zero pressure or like purists, cut it off as only untreated hard ass gems can be called gems, until you look at the disclaimers formt he gem grading houses that any process that may be used to make sapphires emeralds rubies or whatever, even radiation, look better and be worth more IS ASSUMED USED unless declared untreated. "Industry standard". Compare that to the bar set for the purity of opal.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

"Use like zero pressure or like purists, cut it off as only untreated hard ass gems can be called gems, until you look at the disclaimers formt he gem grading houses that any process that may be used to make sapphires emeralds rubies or whatever, even radiation, look better and be worth more IS ASSUMED USED unless declared untreated. "Industry standard".

Since when???! Where are you finding such claptrap? :o

It is my understanding that any treatment that alters a stone from its natural state must be revealed, and it's statements like that that make buyers wary of the industry's integrity. I would appreciate a link to such claims so I can make them an example of the problems this industry has because of such deceitful practices. The public is unaware of treatments so they don't 'assume' anything except that they're buying from an honest seller. Also, many treatments require special care, such as the oiling of emeralds so that's just plain BS. According to that statement even lead glass filling wouldn't need to be disclosed since it enhances craptastic stones and makes them more valuable. What a load of bull! :!:
PinkDiamond