Slow Opal

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

skywalker753

Re: Slow Opal

Post by skywalker753 »

With this Slow Opal thing, I will never ever break any speed records for cutting any opal! But thats ok. With doing them with some frequency I do not try to speed up, but the speed sort of naturally picks up. If that makes sense. So, I have the last matrix opal out of that chunk of Andamooka Matrix rough from the last few days. This one probably should have made two decent sized pendant stones, but it had fairly big black spots that I mostly got out. They were fairly soft, ash I think, from the Jurassic maybe? Not sure. :?:
Its kind of an electric vibrant shimmering green BEFORE carbonization, so for a while it stays natural.
23 and some carats. :)
Attachments
VibrantGreen23.jpg
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I like that one as is, and the others you showed yesterday came out great. Will you treat the green one even though it already looks black? :?:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Yes, I like that one too. That one says, "Hey, look over here!"...lol...
I will probably polish that one again in a few days with the hope of getting just a bit cleaner stone and a bit better polish.
I'm working on the next matrix opal now...I have wanted to do a heart (and will soon) but this reddish one that I'm working on now would have had too much waste material and it cost a bit more than average. The heart one will probably be a bit less expensive matrix opal, probably blue/green. I mean, if the heart one turns out OK, I'll make another one from better material no problem, but the first one? I'd rather do a "first" one with just a bit lesser material to see how it goes. If I was doing it by machine, I'd probably have done 5-6 of them by now...lol...
I'll try to post a pic of the reddish one tomorrow if it gets done. Its just a medium size pendant stone, matrix opal material is similar to some I've used in the past. Funny, now that the carbonizing part is now mostly ironed out, the stress level has gone way down...lol... No more holding my breath and sweating it out!
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

The one I finished, the reddish one, is ready. A bit smaller than I'd liked, 7.3 carats, due to having to take off some "weak char" material that I didn't see at first. I don't know what weak char is, but it sounds official, and is fairly accurate!...lol... It was dark brown/black crumbly matrix that extended a bit into the stone, that I took out, and then evened up the side lengths and bottom.
Took a pretty good polish this one did and its double sided. Just a side note: Some matrix opal is a bit harder than others, and you really gotta lean into the polishing part. This one was like that. For me, I've just found its better to start with easy light pressure when polishing, and then increase as necessary. I've busted a couple of real thin ones by putting too much pressure right out of the gate. Live and learn! Its a shade more red overall than the pic shows. Don't know why the camera does that. I still like it, and the symmetry of it too.
Here it is:
Attachments
RedTriangle.jpg
RedTriangle2.jpg
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Pretty. I dont personally have the love of ovals that some seem to prefer. Then again getting your color round in sticks, adds a facet to what are ya gonna do with it. That saw has to go thru something & with it the edges.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

I really like doing this Slow Opal thing. Its fun. My fingers and hands do need an actual day off tho, once in a while. THAT is the truth of doing opal by hand and not using a dop stick...lol... My adventures, and maybe an inadvertent misadventure now and again, with Matrix Opal will continue in a day or so.
Meantime I'll select the heart piece. All I know so far is its got to be big enough for me to do by hand (no dop stick), and its probably gonna be blue and green. Wish me luck! Or, read later and chuckle if it all goes south. Should be fine, but with this stuff you just never know til you do it... What was it they said back in the day on ABCs Wide World of Sports....(look it up if u don't know what that is)..."The thrill of victory, or the agony of defeat" or something like that. I bet they still have some video somewhere of the announcer saying that last part to a skier wiping out at 100 miles per hour...
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I remember that video clip, and you've got the saying right. :lol:

I'm not surprised your hands need a rest. I've been marveling at how long you've been at it without taking a break. A well deserved break, I might add. I like the greens showing in that last one. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Thought I would post a pic of the rough for the heart shaped matrix opal I will do.
Blue and green...lol...we'll see.....
Attachments
Heart1Rough.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

OK, so I was able to hand cut out and polish a heart shape! Now I know HOW to do it, just have to get BETTER at it...lol..... :oops:
And just a note folks....It IS a good idea to use inexpensive rough for maybe a first cut or try on something, the size is a bit wonky, and the color....
well you can see for yourself. There IS both blue and green upon close examination, and blue/green play of color upon close examination. BUT, as you can see.....at normal viewing distance its a pleasant cream and brown colored polished heart shape...lol... Yes, the rough pic and the heart shape are THE SAME rough.
Yikes!!! Nope, didn't do it on purpose. Yep, expected at least decent color. Its the first time color has been this thin, but appeared on all sides in the rough. Hey, it happens... :roll:
You can laugh with me on this one...(or at me, thats ok too!), but I'm learning lessons, and moving on. I'll do another heart shape in a week or so, hopefully better shape, and better color! :) Next!
Attachments
HeartinHand.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

To be fair, it would benefit from a recarbonization, yes. The color that is there would show up a bit more. But I'ma just keep this one as is.