Slow Opal

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

skywalker753

Re: Slow Opal

Post by skywalker753 »

OK, so here is the last one, just out of the cooker, did 1500 grit, and then 2000, and then cerium. The carbonizing took well, but just a bit unevenly. Which is kind of what happens some times. Color is very good, some from each angle, as you move it, on both sides, which are polished.
Hey this one took TWO carbonizing sessions!...lol... and its 17.43 carats. This one I expected a bit more from, but in the end you get what you get sometimes. And its good. :)
I should get same lighting before and after pics, but anyways, here is a couple pics:
Attachments
theblock1.jpg
theblock.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

I KNOW some of you out there can WAY out do me! Love to see some!
I'm working on the next one, its the other better half of this one. Just a bit better color, and an oval, but otherwise similar matrix and texture.
I'm taking this one relaxed and slow, see if I can get one "out the door" with no mistakes!...lol... Its soaking in maple syrup now... Haven't heard anybody write THAT yet...lol...
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

LOL, I've never heard of anybody writing that before either, and I doubt I ever will anywhere but here. :lol:

I don't know about anyone being able to outdo you, since you're the only one who has ever had an interest in treating boulder opals before, which is why what you're doing is so interesting, and your thread has gotten so many views. We're all enjoying your work, and seeing how the different opals come out of the sugar treatment with your ups and downs, successes and not so successful efforts. You're very entertaining with your comments, too, so keep up the good work because it's interesting, and you've single-handedly managed to capture a good size audience so kudos, sky! :D
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Well, in a word, its HOT in my garage/shop!...no lol...(lol)...just a lot of sweat!
Here are a couple pics of the front n back of the most recent. Lots of crevices, divots in the surface where the carbonization took and made it black.
Colors good. It did take a pretty good polish, don't know if thats visible. It stayed solid during n after carbonization, and final polishing so I am happy about that. Coupla very superficial scratches made it through, I'll knock those out tomorrow. Man that carbon gets in the tiniest feature. Didn't see them even under some magnification before carbonization. I don't like imperfections in my workmanship, but these whole stones by their nature are imperfect. My excuse is that I got caught up checking for color...always do...lol...
Its got a full face sparkle of blue, green, orange and yellow, but you have to move it slightly to see it all. I like this one. Some anyways...lol... :)
19.2 carats
Attachments
BlockParty3.jpg
BlockParty2.jpg
BlockParty1.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Scratches. I sort of shrug it off and keep going, but I mean, its not really acceptable. Like getting the carbonization process fixed I pretty much KNOW what to do, just have to implement it and do it!...lol... But the step (all I can say is for me) I left out is when the stone has been ground, shaped, and sanded, and before its going to prepolish and then polish. For me, thats a good break point to clean the stone, dry it, and take a look under good light and magnification. Max, thats a three minute time addition. And fix any scratches then. I think I can do that...lol... :roll:
Sure I could keep doing as before, because all the scratches are obvious at the end. And they're fixable then. It just means additional time sanding and polishing, AND possibly re-doing the carbonization if too much is taken off.
Yes, sometimes I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall doing this Slow Opal deal....but way more often its fun and theres a pretty good satisfying feeling of connection with past ways of hand working stones, and making stuff that at its best is or can be the equal of any production method. Well thats part of the goal anyway...lol...

Lets see here, whats next?.....
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

So, getting the scratches out and refinishing (the one from yesterday)...yea!
And, since I don't want to waste a sugar solution and carbonizing session...
Heres a pic of the next Matrix Opal. One pic is sort of the rough to rub one, just with some slicing of pieces, and the second is the single matrix opal rub just before it goes into the sugar solution. I will do the other pieces later.
I debated whether or not to even do a carbonization, the color is pretty good as is. But, in it goes...7.72 carats this one.
Attachments
RubB4Sugar.jpg
RoughtoRub.jpg
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Nice. Don't worry about being slow. Others impatience is not a controlling factor. Personally I have an impossible time polishing and put it aside for a few years LOL. Easy when there are mines to find.
Here is some Koonamore advice from Pics for Opal Lovers on the old EBAY forums.

‎07-11-2005 02:35 PM
After smoothing the stone, (not polishing) dry it under a lamp so that it is warm to the touch. Either spray a number of coats of clear auto lacquer or opticon over it. Allow to dry and thats it. I normally use a desk lamp with an incandescent globe for the heat. There is a way to do a matt finish polish. It is a dry technique using clear wax and a fine grit sand paper but you need to be careful the heqt dosent melt the dopping wax and make the stone fly off. I am off to the south eaast for a couple days with the SPCA TO DO A HJOB. bE BACK wEDNESDAY NIGHT. catch ya ll then,.

‎07-14-2005 11:45 PM
I got the last two pacels I poste out back yesterday. They didnt have the right customs forms. ALL THE REST HAD THE SAME FORMS AND THEY DIDNT COME BACK. SHeesh,. I am going to get dancing to post some pics here. I smoothed and treated a couple chunks of sandstone matrix. they weigh about 1 pound each. Its the same stuff yuor getting from the last dig and the colors are standing out BRILLIAQNTLY. reds. greens blues, More color than a walt disney production. Keep ya eyes on this space. Or the next couple down anyways

‎07-18-2005 06:05 PM
OK Here are some pics that will help explain it. The dopping wax is melted onto the 600 grit wheel by heat friction. The stone is then held agains the spinning wheel (mind your fingers it gets pretty hot) The wax melts into the pores of the stone and forms a coating which hardens, the stone is then rubbed over (when cool) with a clear silicone shoe polish pad. If ever it need s a polish a rub over with a soft rag or another application of silica is all thts needed.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Interesting posts from 2005. I've used a desk lamp for heat too when I was doing some drying of this or that experiment! Close enough, a desk lamp can get almost too hot!...lol...
Ya, I wouldn't say I really worry about being slow, but it is a concern. This world today is bing bang boom, do it now, and fast! Slow Opal is the exact opposite of that!...lol...but intended that way. :)
On the above pic with four pieces in it, I didn't explain, but the one on the right is the main chunk leftover. (rainy day stuff :D ) Made the first vertical slice there. Then took the remaining piece and sliced once in half. Then took one of those slices and sliced it horizontally to make two thinner pieces of equal size.
No real skill for the first couple of cuts, just being slow steady and firm. The last cut (making two thinner pieces) was just a bit of a nail biter because I wasn't sure the cut would be straight and steady, or that the matrix would hold up. Ended up OK. Kind of have to ignore the water flying everywhere, and the noise...lol (ya, wore eye protection).
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Ok, page up just a bit to look at the "before" carbonization pic (where I mention I wasn't sure I wanted to carbonize it). The small square-ish one.
Then here are a couple after carbonization ...front and back. I kinda went, like wow! Not my work, but its a pretty decent example of what carbonization can do to enhance an andamooka matrix opal. :) :D :!:
Attachments
Niiice2.jpg
Niice1.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

and then the point of todays exercise, which was a bit of a re-do of yesterdays matrix opal...
Looks similar, maybe a better polish...and no real scratches...lol...
A decent Slow Opal day between the two. Well, good material may help...lol...
Attachments
ReDo1.jpg