First Annual OHA cutting contest!!?

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Brightlights

First Annual OHA cutting contest!!?

Post by Brightlights »

Hello!

OK, so IOJDAA came and went without any of us posting results but that can only mean one thing... :cry:

The field was too saturated! :mrgreen: :idea:

SO... We need to come up with details for the OpalHolicsAnonymous (OHA) Winter Cutting contest!

WINTER!? :?

Well, I initially asked TPTB about for a 1 year anniversary contest and that a) seems WAY to far away and b) might conflict with the 2016 IOJDAA! :lol:

SO... Here's something that we'll have to hash out.

1) Entries
a) Who is eligable?
b) entrie fees if any to cover postage ?
c) opal provided or BYOO ? (Bring your own opal)

2) Judging
a) how many?
b) odd number to break ties?
c) in person via postal service?
d) Online via votes in a locked thread with pictures?
e) both?
f) clearing house person to coordinate all the logistics of mailing entries to judges

3) ???

Ok I fell asleep and my computer didn't like it, apparently I deleted the rest of my (Brilliant!) plan. I think I was up to section 8 or so... :o

But The point is in the past we've used the contest and raised some funds with entries auctioned off etc In the end we supported some Big Cat care and we could do that again or keep the contest as an honorary thing only and keep the entries after the judging to go back to their prospective creators, or ???

This is where it starts to get fuzzy and now I've got keyboard dents in my head! :shock: So I'll let everyone else join in and we can figure this out and maybe by the time winter rolls around we'll have it ready to go.

I guess I'll go back to sleep now... :geek:
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
kjsspot

Re: First Annual OHA cutting contest!!?

Post by kjsspot »

201ually, the next IOJDAA won't be until 2017. It's bi-annual.
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

kjsspot wrote:201ually, the next IOJDAA won't be until 2017. It's bi-annual.

Really? My bad... Lyn's email said "next year" that I just re-read. Maybe it was a typo that got it in my head that they would do it next year.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

So, is anyone interested in an opalholicsanonymous cutting contest? BL and I have been discussing possible ways of running it, but we sure would like y'all's input. ...if you're interested in doing one at all, that is. We figured over the winter when everyone is stuck inside might be a good time to do it; like after Jan 1 so the holidaze aren't in the middle of it.

Your thoughts? :?: Ideas? :idea:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Are we wanting something for the boards, or are we wanting something to draw people to the forum?
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I hadn't thought about using it to draw people to the forum, but if it did I certainly wouldn't complain. It's not like we advertise, so I don't see how we could use it to get new members other than just telling friends, who are welcome here whether there's a contest going on, or not.

We would like ideas on how to do it, since last time Welo rough was going for around $5 a gram, so I could afford to supply the rough. Unless we could get a super deal, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it, so if each one were to use their own rough, the next question is would they want to keep it or sell it vs us having another auction for a charity.

Then there's figuring out how to judge the pieces. We might have 3 judges, and all submit their work to the first, who sends them in bulk to the second judge, and third, and we could assign points from the judges for each entry that would comprise 50% of the vote, and have the members vote online for their favorites that would count as the other 50% of the vote.

The last judge would either send them back to the cutters, or to a member who would auction them off for us, and we would have to decide what charity we were supporting before the contest starts.

And finally, a prize, or prizes, for first, second and third place, or just first place. :?:

There are lots of decisions to be made, and if this is going to be done we think everyone's opinion should be taken into account as we put this together, so we'd like input from the members who want to participate, or anyone who has a good idea on how to do this.

When Steve and I were in the car on Thursday I mentioned it to him, and he said he would assign everybody 1000 imaginary dollars or points, and have everyone give the points as how much they think the opal should go for, or the amount they would be willing to pay for it if they were rolling in dough. :lol:

We figure if we put this out there now, hopefully everyone will see it and let us know if they want to play or not, so we know how many will compete and have plenty of time to set up the guidelines and figure out what to have for a prize. :)
PinkDiamond

kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Or we could keep It easy for now and just pick a theme, have the cutters choose their own rough and create something that represents the theme, and then put up a voting poll. That way you don't have to worry about shipping rough.
~KJ~
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

kjsspot wrote:Or we could keep It easy for now and just pick a theme, have the cutters choose their own rough and create something that represents the theme, and then put up a voting poll. That way you don't have to worry about shipping rough.

That sounds good, but how is a theme applied to cabs? While you, Kurt and I may like carving, some folks may only be able to do cabs.

I agree we should sponsor our own rough to 1) ease of shipping 2) starting costs, like pink mentioned.

Pink, I like Steve's idea of the imaginary money points.. That is creative. The only draw back it's if someone had black opal to cut vs. an ethiopian opal, people may put the cost down based on opal type instead Of cutting skills. ( lf that matters...)

Maybe the theme should include the opal type and style? Ie, "welo/cab" or similar directive.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

We could have different categories if we get enough participants to warrant it. We could have one for cabs and one for carvings, and if y'all feel we should separate Oz material from Welos, we can do that, too. We can have a winner in each category, and a grand prize winner that steals the show. :idea:

I'm getting a little worried about this now - Steve says he wants me to give him rough and he wants to enter. Mind you, he's never done any grinding that didn't involve sparks. :lol:
PinkDiamond

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

So, do we not have any interest in a cutting/carving contest? Only KJ has replied to BL and offered suggestions. :?:

Is it just that we're asking about a winter cutting contest too early, since a lot of people are away or busy over the summer? :?:

It seems that when we're all stuck inside in the northern hemisphere, it would be a good diversion from winter, although I know some of you cut outside, so please, give us your input and let us know your thoughts. :!:
PinkDiamond