First Annual OHA cutting contest!!?

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

opalcreations

Re: First Annual OHA cutting contest!!?

Post by opalcreations »

I think it's a great idea!

Now I guess I need to be on the hunt for a decent piece of rough to cut :shock:
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

I like it too, but it's gonna make me sick for new wheels and unable to play. Been tiptoeing down this no money fence for too long and would just about welcome a fall either way just to be done with the fence running. As it is they MSHA went and applied all the federal industrial safety rules onto the rockhounds with a honey hole claimed if you got ANYTHING that could enter into commerce, not even interstate. Got a lot more expensive to mine and I just gave up the tour business due to them wanting me to be fully insured for their negligence besides being licensed and have a EMT certificate along with all the equipment as If I was running a hunting camp 30 miles off road. They want to start charging for entrance here, but they are getting stonewalled for any support from the public and nobody is applying for their onerous guiding Special Use Permits (like 250 a day). Busy busy busy.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

You could always do a carving instead of a cab, John, and it occurred to me that we should decide if it should be opals only, or any kind of stone. We might get more participants if we don't limit it to just opal, but we've always done opals before, so I could go either way. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

PinkDiamond wrote:So, do we not have any interest in a cutting/carving contest? Only KJ has replied to BL and offered suggestions. :?:

Is it just that we're asking about a winter cutting contest too early, since a lot of people are away or busy over the summer? :?:

It seems that when we're all stuck inside in the northern hemisphere, it would be a good diversion from winter, although I know some of you cut outside, so please, give us your input and let us know your thoughts. :!:

Pink@ I think winter or spring :lol: :oops: as you know I'm also a bit away .. :roll: + need some new equipment/tools

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

I could do a lot if I could do anything right now. Burnt a day to go into town and have a tooth fixed after suffering thru the weekend again with a bad one. Turns out it is the side of my face, not a tooth which I had to deduce after I got home with no prescription or anything. I'd just as soon it killed me to not have to suffer thru another attempt to show pain after a hell drive and being sent home un helped. I had some leftover Mexican Cephalaxin which I put myself on and the swelling stopped and is going down. But what it is is still up in the air. Bone infection? Got to figure out who to see before I run out of antibiotics in a couple days. Back to just 800mg IBU every 4-6 hours now. Severe pain does take away my ability to concentrate on anything other than pallative measures.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yes, while antibiotics are mostly ineffective these days, colloidal silver will knock out any kind of infection, if that is indeed what it is. Try the silver, and if you make your own please know that you can ONLY make it with .999 pure silver. Using sterling silver is a recipe for poisoning, so make sure you use pure silver. But also, I can pretty much guarantee you that due to all the pain that you've been in, that your neck is crunched down and you need to lengthen and stretch the cervical spine very carefully. I suggest you lie on your back with your head over the side of the bed, or you can stack some paperbacks and do it on the floor, but that's not very comfortable, and if by chance you feel pain when doing it, use your hands to lift your head and sit up, and put your fist under your chin and push your head upward and back to get the pressure off the vertebrae instead, but the over the edge of the bed is more effective if you can do it comfortably.

I have had similar symptoms and after Steve adjusted me the swelling went down, and before that I swore it was a tooth, but no, so hopefully you can get relief by stretching the C-spine and using colloidal silver. I sure hope you can stop it before it gets any worse because that's not good, and is most certainly no fun, and you don't want to be on ibuprofin at that high a dosage. :?
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

its why my Cipro is in the freezer..