dyed ethiopian opal

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

crazy8s

dyed ethiopian opal

Post by crazy8s »

I soaked this unpolished opal in water to remove the dop stick.
P1010053.JPG
It started out a medium brown base color. After drying for 3+ months no color came back, so I decided to dye it. :lol:
P1010054.JPG
P1010055.JPG
I used what was available, Coffee. As you can see it worked very well. :lol: Now I just need to finish the opal. :lol:
kjsspot

Re: dyed ethiopian opal

Post by kjsspot »

coffee & opals!!! Two of my favorite things!!! lol All natural right? heeeehehehe
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Of course :lol:
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Other stuff I just aquired..
P1010056.JPG
P1010057.JPG
White Mexican opal with slight color play. The rock is the size of a fist, about a 1/4 lb.
P1010058.JPG
Chrysacolla.
P1010059.JPG
Black quartz :?: What do you think :?:
This is an old piece now ready to be worked.
P1010060.JPG
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

That's hilarious that you used coffee to dye the opal, but I'm surprised it didn't magnify the color instead of killing it. :?

I should have known though, since I have a faceted Welo I set in an earring that had a slightly yellowish color, but eventually darkened to nearly the color of your coffee opal, and as it yellowed, it also lost what color it had taking it from a gorgeous faceted opal, to a piece of ugly yellow crap. :o

So I don't put unsealed Welos in earrings anymore for fear of ruining them, and really wish I could figure out a way to restore it to its original condition, but doubt that's even possible. :roll:

Is any of the white Mexican opal useable for cutting? As for the black quartz, I have never seen anything like that, and my mind is scrambling to figure out how one would test that to see if it really is quartz, since I don't know how to test raw minerals, especially if they're a combination of various types. :oops:

Is that last one chrysoprase? It's got gorgeous color, and I hope you'll show us what you do with it. Thanks for showing us your new rocks, 8's! :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Hi Pink, I'm sorry your opal lost it's color. After drying for a week my opal is back to full color. :D This is the first time I've run to this.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I thought about dropping it into some hydrogen peroxide to see what it would do, thinking it could pull the yellow out and whiten the stone again, or make it explode, and at this point it's so ugly that I'm good with either option. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Try acetone
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

How does one use the acetone :?:
rocks2dust

Post by rocks2dust »

crazy8s wrote:How does one use the acetone :?:

Well, how I do it: get a glass baby food jar, or similar small glass jar, add clean acetone, drop in the stone, cap with a sheet of aluminum foil (plastic and lined lids can react with the acetone), then gently swirl it around for a few minutes. Acetone is about as non-toxic as chemicals get (it occurs naturally in your body), but smells awful, so use it in a well-ventilated area and away from flames, sparks, and other ignition sources. It is very drying, so don't get on your skin, in your eyes or mouth.

Sometimes you have to repeat several times (replacing with clean acetone each time). The stuff evaporates quickly, so let air dry for several minutes, then you are done.

Acetone will certainly dissolve body oils. Just be aware that it can also dissolve waxes and resin fillers or sealants that have been used on the stone. If the stone has been dyed, it can also leach some of the color out of the surface. Acetone also can also pull water out of a stone, which may be a concern with certain types of opal. Never use acetone on doublets, triplets, inlaid gems, gems attached in glue-in settings, intarsia, etc. (it can dissolve the glue holding the pieces together). Acetone is also slightly acidic, and so repeated or long immersion may dull portions of the surface of some stones that contain calcite or other inclusions sensitive to acids.
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else