my 1st try

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Rockranger1

Re: my 1st try

Post by Rockranger1 »

Nili wrote:Rockranger1 : yes the size realy helps here .. and now i have started with the 2nd one .. this is very adicting <lol>
Addicting...Would like to cut opal all the time, its just the crazy prices that makes me lean toward other rocks. lol
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Theres a reason we call it Opalholism.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
Nili

Post by Nili »

yeee , i'm addicted ..
good thing about the crazy pricess they are the ones keeping me down and not buying every opal i see

BTW : started on my 2nd 1 i'll post some photos this week end ( i hope ) it is totaly difrent much harder , draker sort of carmel greenish lovly colors But ther are some questions which i'll ask ones i post the photos stay tuned ( same opal hour same opal site .... i had too <lol>)
Nili

Post by Nili »

Hi

Not posting , yet , any photos but hopfully i will , i have started my 2nd opal .it is much smoller and at 1st i sow only some nice colors , its not translucent ,body color is sort of grenish light brown ( i belive it is wello ) any way one side is grait lovly colors. the other side gave me a surprise , micro honeycomb , now heres my problem/s the honeycomb starts in some aryas on top but you can see in other areas were it dasn't show much that thers a Lot more if i keep on polishing , i dont wont to over do things the stone width gos from 5 mm to 3 mm but it also has very old 2 cracks , I do not wont to lose the wounderfull colors on the 1st side but would love to see more honeycomb on the other side ... tell me what you think i shuld do, please :)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Hard to say. Ive got lots of rough sitting around that just does not fall into a stone. It would be lots of wonderful tiny stones. When you have a whole lot you start from the other end, what sells is flawless bigger stones so sort and sell all the hard to cut stuff not obviously hiding a great stone. Cut off break on cracks to see that ones hiding good stones and throw all the off cuts and pieces in with the bright rough and do what you can with the best OR you back it so it cant come apart later. I have StarBonded chips with cracks or matrix with lots of cracks and polished them down leaving the stuff on the back as a backing. It is clear and can be rubbed down. For two sided stones thats not an option. If its crazy it will still keep crazing but just cracks seem to stay that way forever if secured. Garbage in and garbage out is kinda the rule. If you wanted to doublet it you could set it in JB Weld and rub off the excess. One of my favorite Virgin Valley honeycombs is .75cts and i repeatedly get asked to price it.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
Nili

Post by Nili »

Hi sword :)
sorry i gess i didnt writ clearly or missread you .

1st: it's just 1 stone , and i am not seeling it .( i have some other roughs wich i'd love to start working on but this one is chalenging :))
2. the back turnd out to have mini honeycomb but parts of it are closer to the serfes and other not , so i am woundering if to keep polishing to revil thows deper parts or not becuse :( No.3 )
3. Yes ther are 2 cracks they , so far are very stabel and they are at bouth ends not the middel of the stone , i can polish / cut them off , But the other side of the stone has lovly colors .
so i have 2 questions :
1 not wonting to , prhapes , damg the stone shuld I stay with it as is , which is lovly colors from red , to pink and every other color
or can i polish more of the back to , prhapes revile more of the honeycomb
2. in polishing the back = honeycomb is it posibel to polish OFF the honeycomb ?

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

At this point I would say it depends on how fond you are of the stone as is, since we can't tell you whether or not the honeycomb goes deep, or is just thin strands forming it. As I understand it, polishing one side would reveal the webbing as a honeycomb, while going from another side could make it just appear as threads in the opal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, since I haven't cut any honeycombs, but that's what I thought someone said. ... I'm thinking it was OpalSupreme who said that, but aren't sure. Maybe he'll chime in and let us know since he cuts a lot of Welos.

I suppose the cracks could be healed fractures, if you are right that they're stable, but being opal, and having such a high water content, over time, as more moisture is lost, the possibility of it breaking would go up, so keep an eye on it, and if it looks like it's going to break, and you really like the opal and want to save it, treatment might be the only option. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Hey, just want to jump in here and make sure you're wearing a particulate mask. You can get silicosis (a lung disease) from breathing opal dust.

Also, just a tip, I understand English is not your first language. You might want to look into getting an English spell check on your device where it will red line words that are incorrect. It's not 100% accurate but it would help with learning and also help with comprehension on our end. Please know that this suggestion is not meant to be negative towards you. I've never learned a second language so your skill is impressive to me. Just thought you might welcome the suggestion. :)
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
Nili

Post by Nili »

Hi PInk :)
yes you got it :) so i'll just whit a bit with it .. prhapes put some photos in here so , maybe , you all can have a look at it . i would rather Not treat it.( taking photos of that 1 will be a chalenge )

Kjsspot : Yes i am werring a mask .Thank you :)
i'll do my best with the english problem , sorry , google translat is not such a good translator <lol>

oww befor i forget

HAPPPY HOLLIDAYS to ALL :))))
Nili

Post by Nili »

hai all :)

so i'll just inclode photos of what turnd out to be 2 opals 1st is the one i wrot about the 2nd a shewa ( loove shewa opals ) As you know photos do not do this opal any justic so please keep that in maind and i'll let the photos do the talking :)

22.jpg

But it's other side is this :

25.jpg

now to shewa

20171218_114636.jpg

yes i know cracks .. but you know it didnt give me any problems , it shins from with in with all the colors of the rainbow sprkeling and it even has a rather huge hanycombs which the comera didnt get

so advice , thughts shuld i go on or not

have a very Happy Days you all :)

opss i have no clue what happend with the posting when going to edet all is ok , Pink ?!? any thughts , in any case i belive you know which photo belongs to what stone , sorry dont know how to fix this
Attachments
23.jpg
24.jpg