Freeform? Cab? (or Facet, but I cant do that)

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Artfldgr

Re: Freeform? Cab? (or Facet, but I cant do that)

Post by Artfldgr »

but how do freeforms sell?
gsellis

Post by gsellis »

Just don't get a diamond cutter to facet your opal. The machines are very different and it will shred it. But they would tell you that.

If I faceted that, I could probably get a 5 mm stone out of the large end. Forget RI. You do not want reflection of light in an opal. The opal does that work already. The best pavilion angles would be between 25 and 35 degrees. It makes for less weight loss too.
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

ah... that would be wonderful... but i have too much on my plate to learn faceting now.. sigh

what about something with a very large table, and a much smaller large angle triangle flats (forgot the name sorry) between the table and the girdle
what would someone charge to do that, or do some accept in trade? my work for theirs?
its just my wifes birthday coming, and i got the rough to do something a bit special...
we couldnt celebrate our 10th last year cause her father died and in indonesia/china you dont celebrate that year
so we couldnt

thanks so much for the answer..
when its something i need to learn i am all ears, so please, go on, do not let me stop you :lol: :lol: :lol: