Worth something or paperweight?

Ask anything about getting started with opals and gemstones here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Tazzy

Worth something or paperweight?

Post by Tazzy »

Not sure where to ask this but thought I'd try here first. When I bought my house several years ago found this lump of rock in the back garden which has some opal on it on either side. I don't know anything about opals, nor live anywhere near an area where opals are mined. I've never really known what to do with it - if it is actually worth anything to anyone? It doesn't look like overly impressive opal to me, but I'm no expert. If anyone can advise if it is worth trying to sell to someone who could make use of it, or should I just use it to backfill my retaining wall? Thanks.
20210423_091957.jpg
20210423_091938.jpg
20210423_091932.jpg
20210423_091900.jpg
20210423_091849.jpg
20210423_091759.jpg
20210423_091735.jpg
SwordfishMining

Re: Worth something or paperweight?

Post by SwordfishMining »

Hiya Mazzy. I can ball park a guess; Just as a boulder opal specimen you would be charged 20 or more if it showed ANY play of colour. Showing play of color it probably would have been in a 100$ a lb bin. Great ply of color they would have sold you that single rock for about 1/10 of what they thought the stones would grade for. It is a worthy paper weight, dont spend a lot trying to sell it. It would pay for shipping if you can catch the play of color in pictures, closeups.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Re: Worth something or paperweight?

Post by PinkDiamond »

Hi Tazzy, and welcome to the forum. I'm glad John replied since no one can really judge things based on photos, but educated guesses can be made and John is qualified to make the best guesses.

Are you in Oz, maybe In Taz? My cat's name is Taz, and I call him Tazzy all the time so I got a kick out of it when I saw your name. Again, welcome to the forum. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)