Britt’s Pick: Opal Jeweled Thorn Pendant By Cathy Waterman

For those of you who've been involved with opals and gemstones for many years, here you can chat with your peers.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

We're over half way through September, and October's birthstone is opal so I'm hoping we get to see a whole slew of gorgeous opal eye candy, and here's the first one. It's a lovely opal, but they put it in blackened metal, which as I've said before doesn't appeal to me at all, although it must be popular with buyers because according to this author we'll be seeing a lot more of it. The only way I can imagine favoring blackened metal is if it's in the shape of a black cat with an opal. Now that I could get into! 8-)

September 15, 2020 by Brittany Siminitz

"If September reigns supreme as the month of my absolute favorite birthstone—sweet, sweet sapphire—then October is not far behind. Coming at us with not one, but two multicolor gemstones, October’s opal and tourmaline should have birthday revelers feeling serenely spoiled.

Opals are to me forbidden fruit—that which I will always admire but never wear, hopelessly succumbing to that silly superstition I can’t possibly shed. But that makes them all the sweeter to admire. I can still profess my love for a jewel while wishing that it finds its way into the collection of someone who can do me one better than just waxing poetic—they can wear it.

And so I do with this piece from Cathy Waterman, another gorgeous opal (aren’t they all gorgeous, though?). This time, its sorceress-like powers glow from within a frame of black rhodium, which, like the sapphires I shared last week, makes an eye-popping companion to such a beautifully colored stone.

The heart shape of this pendant is certainly romantic, but in no way twee. I see it more as a dark heart—a powerful, perhaps dangerous amulet worn by a wicked queen with a flair for good style. Given the product name, Thorn, the jeweler seems to agree on the design’s enchanting aura with a slightly devilish twist. The designer is also selling a similar, larger version of this pendant with an elongated silhouette, an equally bewitching item.

Which makes this piece an apt choice for the Halloween season, which is all of October basically and right in step with opal as the birthstone of the month. This won’t be the last time you see ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... -waterman/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Britt’s Pick: Opal Jeweled Thorn Pendant By Cathy Waterman

Post by SwordfishMining »

Black definitely has its place for contrast. Cat like looking cab of dried opal in wood.
Pict0287.JPG
Pict0287.JPG (24.3 KiB) Viewed 416 times
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"