Spectrum of Light: John Ford’s exquisite black Lightning Ridge opals

For those of you who've been involved with opals and gemstones for many years, here you can chat with your peers.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I've got 2 opal fixes for you to indulge in today, the other one being a gorgeous 163ct non-hydrophane Ethiopian nodule I saw on OA, so watch for it. This guy's necklace is stunning. Enjoy! :)

Category: Mia Katrin
Published: 26 December 2018
Written by Mia Katrin

" “I love opals! Especially the king of all opals, Lightning Ridge black opal. It flashes a full spectrum of color, a painter’s palette of blues, greens, reds and yellows, embedded in a rich dark matrix.”

John Ford in a Lightning Ridge opal mine.

John Ford’s passion for opals has catapulted him from wholesale opal dealer - he regularly visits and sources the gems from the mines in Lightning Ridge, Australia - to award-winning designer, capturing a remarkable eight Spectrum Awards since 2014, all featuring Lightning Ridge opals. “Opals talk to me. When I see the gem, I see the inspiration for the design.”

John recently shared with me his passion for this fascinating gem. “Lightning Ridge opals are unique, formed under an ancient sea bed. Over eons water filtered down carrying elements into voids in clay where opalization occurred and the unique kaleidoscope of color of Lightning Ridge was born. Once people experience the black Lighting Ridge opal, they’re captivated. Lightning Ridge opal jewelry is generational - long lasting, passed on for future generations to treasure.”

A fifth generation Galvestonian, John attended Texas A & M University studying maritime law, international trade and finance. Soon after graduating in 1983 he started importing and selling Italian gold chain. Encouraged by diamantaires, he quickly expanded to selling loose diamonds and designing jewelry. An older oil exploration and gem trader friend introduced him to Lightning Ridge opals. “No one knows about Lightning Ridge opals unless someone tells you and opens this door.”

Ford’s Spectrum Awards Buyer’s Choice, Platinum Honors winning Lightning Ridge black opal and diamond necklace.

They soon formed a short-term partnership buying rough from Australia and distributing in the US. ... "

https://southernjewelrynews.com/columni ... idge-opals
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)