Artist Angie Crabtree’s New Opal Series Debuts at Roseark

Australian opal history is full of grand tales, superstitions and hard yakka (hard work). Read about it all here, or submit your own!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

When I saw the title of the article of course I thought it would lead me to some spectacular opals, but it turned out that when they said 'artist', they meant exactly that, and were it not for this artist's uncanny ability to capture the appearance of cut gemstones on canvas, I probably wouldn't have chosen this one, but her work is incredible because she actually captures the essence of the gemstones she paints, and the way she captures the look of faceted gemstones is breathtaking when you consider that it's done on a flat canvas. These are gorgeous, whether of gemstones or opals. Maybe I should add Art to this category; something I never expected to find when the category was named. Hope you enjoy these as much as I did because this woman is amazing. :)

December 4, 2018 by Amy Elliott

"If you were at JCK Luxury 2018 you may remember a willowy, elegantly dressed creature painting a diamond outside the Mandalay Bay Ballroom. You probably knew it was Angie Crabtree, even with her back to you, just by looking at the canvas. Her work is just that well-known, as are many of her collaborators, from Forevermark and Chopard to the handbag designer Paige Gamble.

Crabtree’s latest partner is the Los Angeles–based retailer (and agenda-setter extraordinaire) Roseark, a famously cooler-than-cool gallery-format store that habitually launches A+ talent across fine jewelry, art, home furnishings, and other one-of-a-kind luxuries. (It also happens to be one of our all-time favorite Instagram feeds.)

There, for the next two months, an Angie Crabtree exhibit will be on view. Called “Lit: Opals, Diamonds and Light,” the show’s opening reception is being held on Dec. 6 from 12 to 4 p.m.

Though Crabtree documents her artistic process for her fans and followers quite regularly, “Lit” includes works that have never left her studio—until now. Crabtree’s particular métier is diamonds, from antique carré cuts to crazy-precise round brilliants with heart-and-arrow facets, but the artist has also been exploring other gemstones. Her latest focus? The fiery patterns and rainbow-tinted luster of everyone’s favorite thing right now: opals.

Diamond painter Angie Crabtree, pictured here in her Bay Area studio, has been dabbling in colored stones.

Just completed this fall, Crabtree’s opal homages are making their debut for the first time with “Lit.” According to the artist’s exhibit notes: “Opals are a visual counterpoint to the hard angles and light refraction that diamonds provide, and are experiencing a resurgence in the contemporary imagination.” ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/wp-content/up ... inting.jpg
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)