The symbolism, superstitions and legends of October’s Birthstone

Australian opal history is full of grand tales, superstitions and hard yakka (hard work). Read about it all here, or submit your own!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Some beautiful opal eye candy here, as well as the lore and superstitions that became associated with them. My own daughter asked me about wearing them, despite the fact that she knows they're not my birthstone, and that I've been wearing them pretty much my entire adult life :roll: , so I hope this allays any fears any newbies who see this might have about them. ;)

HOT ROCKS, STYLE

Wartski’s opal floral Lalique pendant

"“There is in them a softer fire than the ruby, there is the brilliant purple of the amethyst, and the sea green of the emerald – all shining together in incredible union. Some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.” This how Roman scholar Pliny the Elder described the rare beauty of opals.

October’s birthstone, opal, with its fiery luminescence and vivid hues that change with the light, has acted as a metaphor for Shakespeare and Ralph Waldo Emerson. Opals have also been written about by other great authors and playwrights such as Mark Twain, John Steinbeck and Oscar Wilde.

Throughout history, they have been gemstones with a rich cultural past of lore and legend, filled with magic, mystery and superstition. Over the past five to 10 years, they have also become one of the most widely regarded gems among antique and modern-jewelry collectors alike.

Amali’s woven gold opal necklace wrapped around the wrist

Independent designers such as Margery Hirschey prefer the organically shaped Boulder opals. “I have deep affinity for stones that display variations in hue within the gem—but I do prefer those that reveal small flashes of fire rather than being too other-worldly.” Hirschey works with varied shapes in earrings, creating a painterly mosaic effect by first laying out the start of the design with the opals and seeing which shape and color and other small accent gems will look best together. Her first collection was comprised of only opals and when asked how she felt about the superstitions associated with them, she said ... "
https://www.bejeweledmag.com/symbolism- ... irthstone/

PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
OpalSpectrum

Re: The symbolism, superstitions and legends of October’s Birthstone

Post by OpalSpectrum »

lucky me that opal is my birthstone :P but I don't wear any opal jewelry :lol:

btw. this is wrong > The word opal derived its name from “opalus”, which means “to see a change in color”
No it doesn't mean that - it comes from opalus which mean simply - precious stone (jewel)
I've seen this before and I don't know where they got this 'etymology' ?
:geek:

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<